$3.16 Changed my life!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4yanks

New User
Willie
I recently recieved this adapter for my Bosch sander from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RS006-S...46-5260711?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1177586934&sr=8-1. I hooked the sander up to my DC and sanded a few trim boards for a shop cabinet I am working on. Holy Cow, NO DUST! I mean ANYWHERE! I have worn respirators, safety glasses and ear muffs for years while sanding. I always felt like I was suiting up like an astronaut to sand. If I didn't I would feel sick for a day or two after any significant sanding. Additionally everything would be covered in a thick layer of dust, which required careful vacuming to prevent stirring it all back up. Now I feel like I have slain a dragon and all for only $3.16. If you have not hooked your ROS up to a DC or Vacuum, I highly recommend you do.

DavidF

New User
David
I recently recieved this adapter for my Bosch sander from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RS006-S...46-5260711?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1177586934&sr=8-1. I hooked the sander up to my DC and sanded a few trim boards for a shop cabinet I am working on. Holy Cow, NO DUST! I mean ANYWHERE! I have worn respirators, safety glasses and ear muffs for years while sanding. I always felt like I was suiting up like an astronaut to sand. If I didn't I would feel sick for a day or two after any significant sanding. Additionally everything would be covered in a thick layer of dust, which required careful vacuming to prevent stirring it all back up. Now I feel like I have slain a dragon and all for only $3.16. If you have not hooked your ROS up to a DC or Vacuum, I highly recommend you do.

Having just bought the Ridgid ROS and hooked it to a shop vac, I agree, night and day difference. Only down side is the additional noise from the vac, but I guess it's worth it for not breathing the dust.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I too use my shop vac on my ROS and it is a major improvement. I would also recommend spending $20 at Sears to get the auto on/off switch. That way, the vacuum comes on when the tool turns on and stays on 5 seconds after it is turned off.

M

McRabbet

I moved this thread to the Safety & Health Forum because it is all about doing the right thing to protect your lungs! I also use my ShopVac connected to my RO Sander whenever I use it -- and I wear a dust mask, too, because there are still very small dust particles created that do the most damage. And don't rely on your ShopVac to capture those finest particles -- add a Dry Wall Filter and leave the pleated filter in it as well for thorough filtration. You can tell if your ShopVac is efficient by checking for dust accumulated near the blower exit ports.

PS -- Wear ear protection, too!
Rob

M

McRabbet

I would recommend the $10.95 Gerson Respirator (available in Small, Medium and Large from Grizzly), with replaceable particulate (H3635 at $ 5.95/pr) and organic vapor (H3633 @ $8.95/pr) cartridges. This is a comfortable mask and the cartridges are easily changed out for dust or finish vapor protection. I've had mine for nearly 3 years and use it religiously.

Rob

DavidF

New User
David
I too use my shop vac on my ROS and it is a major improvement. I would also recommend spending $20 at Sears to get the auto on/off switch. That way, the vacuum comes on when the tool turns on and stays on 5 seconds after it is turned off.

I like that idea, I might get one of those. Handy when using the router with shop vac as well.

jglord

New User
John
One other benefit is the sander will cut much faster and the paper last longer due to having the dust removed from the work piece.

rhett

New User
rhett
The next step will be to purchase and install an air cleaner like the JDS 750. I had no idea though that the DC attachment for the ROS would work so well.

That is a very wise addition to any shop. I have had mine up for two weeks now, and what a difference. After blowing off my walls etc, there is no new dust on anything now. Even after repeated sanding sessions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I got most of my power tools rigged to either my shop ac or JET dust collector. It helps that I've made them all mobile and can move them in position, then attached a hose for collecting dust or chips. I've done the same for the hand power tools as well. My new shop stay so much cleaner and is far more comfortable than the last. Sometime the cheapest part makes the biggest difference. Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors