2x4 Office Shelving

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
All
I am looking to build some 2x4 shelving in my bedroom turned office. I need to store some books, totes and tools, etc. Not all will be the same size as I have to go around a storage cabinet. I may stain them or paint them, have not decided yet. My designer, aka my daughter, wants me to go for an industrial look. She suggests I paint the room a medium gray.

Anyway, the big question is how to connect the verticals to the horizontals. I don't know if I should use carriage bolts, pocket holes or just screws that you would see. I am leaning toward the pocket holes but not sure if they will hold much weight.

Please share some photos of what you have done too.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Raymond

Raymond
Corporate Member
More information about the width and depth of the shelves is needed to give you a good advice, Jim.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Thank you all for your replies. I want to use the 2x4's for the vertical and horizontal pieces. Then I will use 1/2" plywood for the actual shelves. The entire unit will be about 8' tall, 10' wide and 18" deep. I plan to route out a rabbet for the plywood shelves to sit flush with the top of the 2x4's.

The lower shelves of the storage will be books and totes full of papers. The middle and upper for tools, supplies, etc.

Here are some examples from the WWW.

I like the look of this one, but have yet to check the price of the brackets.
Also, I would prefer not to see the edge of the plywood.
1600703657455.png

This is ok, but looks like they just screwed the 2x4's straight into each other.
That is fine is that will hold the weight of books.
I would rotate the 2x4 in the middle to give them more strength.
It appears she used 2x4's for the shelves and that may be an option.

1600704322984.png

This will be in my office in the house not the garage, so I want it to look a bit nicer.
This is an example of what I do not want to end up with.
1600703727781.png

Last edited:

Skymaster

Jack
Senior User
6/4 soft maple for all framing,notch horz into vert, rabbit for 1/2 pre fin maple ply. poly the frame and it virtually match the ply, 3/8 rnd over all edges

Jeff

Jeff
Corporate Member
The first pic uses Simpson Strong Ties to connect the vertical and horizontal 2 x 4 pieces. The strong ties are attached with screws. The author liked the industrial look.

Simpson RTC2Z

Last edited:

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS