Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
COMPLETE!!!!!

I have completed everything with the table and placed it in the house. The pictures aren't as good as I would like. I probably should have brought in the photo lights and used the tripod but you get the point. Thanks for looking.

IMG_3242_1024x768.JPG

View image in gallery

Well to follow up to my highly successful and world renowned 2x4 end table I am in the process of building a coffee table to match it. It will be slightly different in style. I am about 90% through the top.

I think I have used about 3 2x4 so far. I am going to distress this one as well. I started the first round of distressing. I still need to take a bag full of screws and beat the heck out of it but first I need to sand the first round of stain down. Here are the pictures so far.

For a few more pics check out my blog at http://groverwoodworks.blogspot.com/

Work done on 1/21/10:

I had a little time in the shop and got the legs cut and the second step in the process of distressing the table top. I was able to cut the taper on the Band saw and then used the jointer to straighten the taper out. I stacked all of the legs together and then sanded the taper so that they were all uniform.

I also started the second step in my distressing process. I stain the entire top and the sand a whole bunch of it off. While I am sanding all of this I rounded the corners and edges and put a slight slope on each of the corners. Then I beat the crap out of it. The next step will be to re-stain the whole thing and then spray some poly on it.

Work Done on 1/22/10:

I took a half day today and spent a little time in the shop. I got the table basically complete. The only thing left is to adjust the legs a little once I got it all together it had a slight wobble and spray it with some clear. You probably wouldn't notice it on the rug but I can't let it go out of the shop that way.

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Re: 2x4 Coffee Table IN PROGRESS

That's gonna look great! Keep it up!!

Make sure to keep us posted!

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Yeah it is a little unnerving to take a bag full of wood screws and whack it across the top. It also is a challenge to not plane and joint the 2x4 into perfect edges for a tight joint and then when you do having to go back and chisel out part of it. Thank goodness these are build with 2x4's... This would be so wrong doing this to something really figured or exotic.

JCraig

New User
Jerry

Hey Kev, as long as I can keep my source for 2x4's, just keep beating the fool out of those boards. :gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Re: 2x4 Coffee Table IN PROGRESS UPDATED PICS 1/21

Looking great Kevin. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Man, that's gotta be a fun feeling wacking the heck out of your new table. :gar-La;

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Re: 2x4 Coffee Table IN PROGRESS UPDATED PICS 1/22

He that really looks great.......keep on beating the fool outa those 2 bys.....

Dragon

New User
David

Great looking table. Simple, easily available materials, great looking style and end result. I love it.:icon_thum

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew

+1 for what David Said (Dragon)

That sure is Beautiful, nice going on the staining, beating/de-stressing, and finishing.

IMG_3233_1024x768.JPG

And good thing you got that wooble out before it left the shop, it shows you pay attention to detail....Now hopefully your garage floor was perfectly flat~! :gar-La;

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin

Thanks everyone for the comments. Hopefully the wife will like as much as I do. She is out of town this weekend. I put the completed pics in the first message with everything else.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

That looks great - and out of 2x4! I like pine... I think I'm going to have to try distressed furniture as well. It seems like a natural fit: Cut the leg too short? Take a few lengths of chain and beat the heck out of it. Messed up the joinery? Kick it around the shop a bit. Distress = destress! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS