2fer Wood Gloat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
The reason this ends up being a 2fer gloat is because several weeks back, just after buying my HF lathe, the Winston-Salem CL had a post for some free cypress so I got a pickup load, but didn't post it because my skills were close to zero... in other words, if I could not put it to good use then what good would a gloat do. :dontknow:

Well my skills at this point have improved a little, but are still not all that great, but the truck load of maple I picked up today really needs a gloat.:gar-Bi

This was another CL find in W-S.
The family that posted the maple loved their tree, but after a power company crew cut it back severely and ruined the tree they decided to take it down. They have a two year old daughter, so I'll try to make a child's bowl for her and give them something to remember the tree by.

This first pic is of the maple with a little of the cypress in the far right background.

35a6qfq.jpg

This one is just the maple.
2wclg82.jpg

These big chunks are a mix of both maple and the cypress. (there are two even larger pieces of cypress up by my shop)

ej7igg.jpg

And, speaking of skills... I don't think these turnings are good enough to warrant a topic of their own but I'll post them here so that you can see that some progress is being made.

The small tray and the salt box were turned from a board that I picked up at the W-S Habitat store. It was well seasoned, rough sawn, and about 1x12x48. It was mostly clear, but did have a large knot and a bend one one end. As you can see in the pic it has a rich chocolate color... my finish was mineral oil and bees wax, so the color you see is close to natural. I think the wood may be walnut???

The other tray (trivet?) was turned from a 1x12 pine board. The mallet was just a whimsical trial at turning plywood, it worked out OK but I have no great desire to do that again anytime soon. :cool:

i6hy04.jpg

Thanks for looking... Ken

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Good looking gloat there and you are progressing in turning because the turnings look great.
Tony

Ken Kimbrell

New User
Ken
Thanks Tony.
Some of the quality of the pic is lost because of poor lighting... guess I need a light box. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS