289 reasons to brag!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am SO excited!
This is something I have wanted for a LONG time and didn't afford it until I found an exceptional example at a price I thought was reasonable.
In case you are not familiar with the Stanley #289, it is a skewed rabbeting plane.
The more common 78 is a good tool, but this skewed version takes creating a rabbet or blocking for using moulding planes to a whole new level!

I had one, but it did not have the fence and basically made it useless.
This is relatively common to find examples out there without the fence.

I want to find out what it would cost to cast some reproduction fences, I am thinking there would be a market, but not sure as it is dependent upon the cost to cast, then machine the fence...
289.jpg
289-1.jpg

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
Don't hate on me for asking this question but could a 3-d printed fence be deemed useful? I know the cast would be so much better but if you have part A and it is useless, would a 3d version of part B be helpful to make part A workable?

I am so tongue tied right now!!! LOL

Coleman

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't hate on me for asking this question but could a 3-d printed fence be deemed useful? I know the cast would be so much better but if you have part A and it is useless, would a 3d version of part B be helpful to make part A workable?

I am so tongue tied right now!!! LOL

Coleman
yes, there is that potential - I even made a machined delrin fence, to use my other tool. but as with most things, it is much nicer and elegant to have the tool set-up the way it should be.

Once I find someone capable of casting / forging the rough part for this fence, I have thought that 3-D printed part(s) would make a good pattern or patterns... (especially since I would likely have to increase the size by some percentage to allow for shrinkage)

Anyway just a hair-brained scheme right now, but who knows...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My daughter is learning lost wax casting for jewelry, I know the basics but haven’t done it since high school. I think brass or bronze would do very well for that part and is probably more readily available than iron.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
That's a cool plane. Did you find it locally?

You are correct about finding them complete. It's rare to find one with all the parts.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My daughter is learning lost wax casting for jewelry, I know the basics but haven’t done it since high school. I think brass or bronze would do very well for that part and is probably more readily available than iron.
Someone in another post (I think the table saw one) were talking about someone casting steel, I was hopeful they would pipe-up here too... I will have to go hunt it out...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's a cool plane. Did you find it locally?

You are correct about finding them complete. It's rare to find one with all the parts.
NOPE :( Fleabay and paid shipping) but still, I wanted on complete.
The funny part is I have a wooden rabbit and used it when I made the moulding for the kitchen and it worked fine! (Establishing this as a want NOT a NEED... but I would argue....)

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found it!
Taylor (@Sourwould) was talking about getting parts for the delta 10" tilt top table saw...

Post #13 by Rick (@Rick Mainhart) was the one I was thinking about;
You might consider contacting Clark Easterling at Windy Hill Foundry and see if this is something he might consider casting in either aluminum or cast iron. While casting from an existing casting adds some error (2-3% shrinkage if I recall), you might be able to use your existing trunnion(s) as molding patterns.
A lot of folks are now making casting patterns on their 3D printers ... you'd best discuss the draft angles and other details with Clark though.
You will need additional machining on the cast part, but much less than hogging the part(s) from billet ... and a lot less material lost.
Hope this helps.
Regards,

Rick

So with @Mike Davis' suggestion to make it from Brass and a potential foundry I can see if it is worth it to pursue!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS