25yr old gettin started with my shop

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
It isn't wrong or a bad thing to start out with Harbor Freight tools and/or used tools. Brand is irrelevent starting out and learning to be honest. Get what you can afford starting out and upgrade as you are comfortable and need too. I started out this way and as my skill grew and need to be more precise with projects I upgraded a piece at a time. Start simple and work your way up. You can also check the big box stores for clearance tools, Lowe's still has a bunch of clearance saws right now. Pawn shops can have some gems to pick up on the cheap as well.

Tools to work your way towards and consider:
Cordless tool set w/ drills and saws ( I started with a Ryobi set)
Corded circular saw (if you don't have one in the cordless set)
Jigsaw ( I still have and use a Black & Decker one years later)
Random orbital sander, corded preferrably (once again, I started with Black & Decker and used it several years until it died)
Kregg pocket screw system (you can evolve past this but it is extremely helpful learning and building)
Drill bit set
Table saw - smaller table top one is perfectly fine and several are on clearance at various Lowe's stores
Clamps, clamps and more clamps, you never have enough (once again, harbor freight ones are affordable and get it done)

Don't rush out and buy everything at once, get a tool at a time as you need them. Evaluate what you use and get rid of what you don't use. Get help from people in this forum when you need it, I have been to a few houses getting help because they had the tools and knowledge I did not to do a project. Accept failure at face value, learn from it and improve your craft.

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For tools, watch the for sale list right here on the NCWoodworker.net forum!

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Hey Mike I'm thinking of selling my Dewalt sliding miter saw with stand and 7491 job site table saw.

I bought them to do our cabinets when I was in a rental with limited space. We are moved in now and I have the room now I'm looking to get a cabinet style table saw so need to make room.

I also have a Skil job site saw with stand I'll sell cheap if that's more in your budget.

Let me know if that interest you.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS