250-year-old oak timber available - N. Raleigh

oldoaktree

New User
Nate
A recent storm felled a white oak in my yard. It had a girth of 14.5 feet, which suggests an age of about 250 years. Half of the tree is down and cut into six-foot sections. About ten have 18-inch diameters. Another dozen measure 12 to 14 inches. You can see some of those in the picture below. The rest of the tree will be cut down soon, and produce a comparable amount of lumber. The wood deserves better than a chipper or burn pile. If you are interested in picking up some or all of the wood, please let me know. I would like to get some money for the lot or on a per-piece-basis. I am also open to bartering for a dining room table made out of some. Located between Wake Forest and Raleigh. Nine-One-Nine 626-4249
IMG_5287.jpg

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
When you cut the rest of the tree down, cut at least 8 feet long longs. Making them a few inches over that length is even better.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
It's a yard tree. Not many Sawyers will be willing to mill it. Yard tree's tend to have metal (nails, screws etc) in them. Sorry to say but firewood is probably the best option.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Large commercial sawyers generally won't take yard trees, but most portable sawyers will, me included. I slabbed a 4 foot diameter yard tree a few weeks ago. It produced some of the most beautiful slabs that I have ever came across. You are on the right track trying to save it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The large limbs probably have had a lot of stress loading, so may present warping/cracking during the drying and milling process. Not saying don't save it, but be aware that those sections may be problematic. If presented with the need to cull some to get the milling price reasonable, toss the limb sections first.

Once when I was cutting a 10' 8/4 x 10" board to length for a hope chest project (I had already thickness planed it), I heard a noise comparable to a .22 cal pistol shot. The board split width-wise in the center for about 12" deep down each side of the cross cut. Weird how the iiinternal stress can show itself.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS