2022 Tall Vise Workshop back by popular demand

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pop-Pop's great criss-cross tall vise build workshop will be held again on June 11 at Phil's workshop in Raleigh.

Last June eight students all built vises using Mike's great plans, parts and instructions. We had a few speed bumps, mainly a drill press that would not hold alignment. I have since modified the DP plus there will be an Enco mill to take some of the processes.

Students will be required to bring pre-sized wood parts. We will supply all of the custom fabricated arms, bearings and other - basically all that you will need to complete this very useful vise.

For your review, Pop-Pop's tall vise instructions can be found under the resources tab

Cost for this workshop is $85 payable directly to Phil. Lunch will be served

We can handle eight students plus we will except two on standby

Signup by responding to this thread

1. Rich Cox (Board of Directors advantage)

2. Gene Dixon (Board of Directors advantage)

3. jcz (Johnny)

4. mikeh74 (Mike Hansell)

5. Bill_L (Bill Leonard)

6. Nicholsjr (Jordan Nichols)

7. LeftyTom

8. SabertoothBunny

standby 1. Link H

standby 2. mpholway (Matt Holway)

Last edited by a moderator:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I attended the first workshop and I use my vise ALL the time! In all candor, I signed up for the workshop because it was the first post COVID workshop offered and I was anxious to fellowship with other woodworkers. That said, I not only enjoyed the fellowship, I came away with an extremely valued addition to my shop. If not enough folks signup, I am game for a second vise...but I think others deserve a shot.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Phil, Mike, Pop-Pop, and others assisting.

See attachment - have I found the right file?

Regarding "pre-sized wood parts". Since I live in the land without a good supply of hardwood, what wood species is recommended? Does pre-sized mean fully machined, rough dimensioned (outside dimensions only) or what? Sorry, my inner engineer is kicking in.

Again, thanks for doing this!

Attachments

• Tall vise full_guide.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 282

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Thank you Phil, Mike, Pop-Pop, and others assisting.

See attachment - have I found the right file?

Regarding "pre-sized wood parts". Since I live in the land without a good supply of hardwood, what wood species is recommended? Does pre-sized mean fully machined, rough dimensioned (outside dimensions only) or what? Sorry, my inner engineer is kicking in.

Again, thanks for doing this!

I made another file that was sent only to last year’s participants to prep for the workshop. I’ll get it to resources probably tomorrow. Check Michael Mathew’s vise photo in the download for an example of wood usage.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Michael's vise is a work of art to me. Still, I'm interested in recommendations for species to use/avoid. Is there a range on the janka hardness scale that is appropriate or does it not matter.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Michael's vise is a work of art to me. Still, I'm interested in recommendations for species to use/avoid. Is there a range on the janka hardness scale that is appropriate or does it not matter.
I have used mainly walnut, soft&hard maple, and mahogany. Even SYP for prototypes. Use any 8/4 hardwood that you like and have some of. The wood in the vise is not stressed highly enough that the species much matters.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thank you Gene! I do plan to have mine at the workshop so others can see what's possible. As pop-pop said, see my photos for pics of mine. The nuts are perfectly clocked so when I give the jaw lock a quick spin, it opens 3 to 4 inches. It's so easy and fun to use!

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Pop-Pop's great criss-cross tall vise build workshop will be held again on June 11 at Phil's workshop in Raleigh.

Last June eight students all built vises using Mike's great plans, parts and instructions. We had a few speed bumps, mainly a drill press that would not hold alignment. I have since modified the DP plus there will be an Enco mill to take some of the processes.

Students will be required to bring pre-sized wood parts. We will supply all of the custom fabricated arms, bearings and other - basically all that you will need to complete this very useful vise.

For your review, Pop-Pop's tall vise instructions can be found under the resources tab

Cost for this workshop is $85 payable directly to Phil. Lunch will be served

We can handle eight students plus we will except two on standby

Signup by responding to this thread

1. Rich Cox (Board of Directors advantage)

2. Gene Dixon (Board of Directors advantage)

3. mikeh74 (Mike Hansell)

4. Bill_L (Bill Leonard)

5. Nicholsjr (Jordan Nichols)

6. LeftyTom

7. SabertoothBunny

standby 1.

standby 2.
I would like to participate

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I apologize I was adding people to the signup list as I saw them sign up. I completely missed Johnny (jcz) who was tucked into the comments. I've added him where he should have been and shifted everyone down one space. That puts Linc in the first standby position. Sorry for my mistake.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Sooooo the plans attached to this post. Are those exact dimensions of everything we need to prep and bring with us? This is all in inches I assume?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Sooooo the plans attached to this post. Are those exact dimensions of everything we need to prep and bring with us? This is all in inches I assume?

I'm trying to update the Resource with the 2-page PDF for preparing. Getting a whine that PDF is not an allowable filetype and have asked for help. In the meantime, I'll see if I can send it directly to those who have signed up.

EDIT: Added a new Resource “Tall vise pre workshop student preparation”.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS