2011 Heartstrings Angel Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Many of you know about this endeavor from last year when I requested help with producing angels for the Heartstrings organization. For those new to the site and who may not have gotten 'the memo':wsmile: before now I want to share the purpose of this project and a little bit about Heartstrings.

ornament_tags-closeup.jpg

View image in gallery

photo_popup.php

The change in the project this year is that the Angels are going to be used for fundraising. Also there is a Dove ornament to be offered as well. Each ornament will have the baby's name on it and will include a card attached with the name of the woodworker who made it.

This effort will begin this month by advertising in the Heartstrings news letter and other media such as Face Book. I also hope to have enough to take to several summer festivals and craft fairs.
Rick DiNardo of The Woodworking Source has once again provided me with some beautiful wood to scroll from cut offs in his shop.

If you scroll and would like to be a part of this wonderful project any number you could make would be much appreciated. Even if you don't scroll donating hardwood scraps to someone who does would be terrific.

The Angel measures approximately 5" X 2 1/2". There are photo's of the Angel and Dove in my Gallery along with the Dove pattern:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2259&ppuser=327

Please email or PM me for more info. Thanks to all who helped me last year and I hope you'll consider helping out again this year. Please visit the website @ www.heartstringssupport.org for more information about the purpose and programs they provide.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As you and I have discussed, I'm not a scroller but I do have lots of good scraps. I'll get busy today resawing them into useable blanks. If I remember correctly, 1/8-3/16" was about the right thickness? I think you said 1/4" was getting too thick?

Glad to help.

Bill

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks for posting the preferred thickness Bill:embaresse I knew I'd leave something of importance out and I'm sure there will be more of the same!

Thanks you too for providing us with great wood!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Count me in again this year. I will very soon have lots of time to devote/

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks to Scott Millerfor the better than a Christmas present I got in the mail yesterday:icon_cheers

A box full of Heartstrings Angels beautifully scrolled.

Scott, you'll never know how much it means to me and a thank you doesn't begin to cover it:notworthy:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used an assortment of woods (cedar, poplar, walnut and oak) ranging in thickness from 1/4" to 1/8". I also made some with 1/8" plywood.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to Scott Millerfor the better than a Christmas present I got in the mail yesterday:icon_cheers

A box full of Heartstrings Angels beautifully scrolled.

Scott, you'll never know how much it means to me and a thank you doesn't begin to cover it:notworthy:

It was my honor to help....

b4man

New User
Barbara
Barney, I returned the PM, thanks so much.

Scott, some of the grain direction you placed made the angels really POP! Just beautiful!

Bill Clemmons gave me a big box of cut and ready to use hardwood for this project. Anyone interested in helping and would like some of this stock should PM me and I'll work out a way to get it to you.

Rick @ The Woodworking Source has also given us an abundance of beautiful wood to be used for the ornaments.

The generosity of our members here never ceases to amaze me:eusa_clap

cskipper

Cathy
I'll get back to cutting some angels and add in the doves. What are the actual dimensions of the dove? Would you please add the location of the hole for the ribbon (for hanging the ornaments) to the pattern so we can drill it before sending them to you. I can always use wood for these ornaments.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Barbara,

Since Cathy and I live within an hour of each other, if you get some wood to her send some extra to me and I will cut some as well. Do you want us to go ahead and put a finish on them?

b4man

New User
Barbara
@ Cathy and Susan;
Thanks!!!!
I am happy to mail you both wood. Susan, please PM your address and Cathy let me know which city to send yours:gar-Bi

I will include the pattern in the box. As for the hole for the ribbon, I drill out the center of the halo with whatever size bit that leaves enough space around the piece and allows a ribbon to be threaded thru without using a needle:eek: For the dove I just center it at the top of the wing.

@Barney, I didn't get to the post office Saturday so I'll be shipping yours Tuesday:icon_thum

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
Barbara,
Wood and patterns arrived today in great shape.
Some great looking wood in there.
Thanks.....
Barney

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware
This is such a great cause! It's very near to my heart, as my youngest brother and his wife lost their first child 3 weeks after he was born, almost exactly a year ago.
I am going to see how we can help here at the store.

Scott

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks Scott. I speak for the Heartstrings organization and the parents of little angels gone on when I tell you even the smallest act of kindness is never forgotten.

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
Barbara, got the wood -- thanks. I'll try to catch up to Susan to share. There were no patterns in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors