2 Year Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
New photos posted in my gallery under "House and Bldgs". Although not your typical woodworking project, this 2 year project required a lot of work with "wood" and a tremendous amount of "work" so maybe it qualifies. :roll:

This was the house I was born and raised in. My wife and I spent 2 years renovating it for our permanenet home after we retired. We did the carpentry/woodworking including, all demolishing, building the garage around the old building, moving walls in house, building new walls, painting, hardwood floor install, kitchen cabinets, vanities, hung all new windows, built window/door casings and trim, installed baseboards, etc. We hired someone to install the siding, roof trusses, metal roof, electrical, plumbing, drywall, concrete/brick work and insulation. We now have a very comfortable 68 year old "new" home.:eusa_danc

Now I hope to have a little time to work on some small ww projects while we finish the landscaping.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dolan, that looks fantastic.:icon_thum It is hard to believe it is the same house. I bet the two of you will really enjoy living there once you retire. Did you have the house moved from another location or did you raise it higher on its existing foundation? I really like the full length front porch you added to it.

D L

M

McRabbet

Dolan -- a beautiful job on the outside, the out buildings, and as we have already seen on the inside of this beautiful retirement home. It looks a if it were done by professionals -- clearly you have the talent to take on any project you desire! Well done!

Rob

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
D L Ames said:
Dolan, that looks fantastic.:icon_thum It is hard to believe it is the same house. I bet the two of you will really enjoy living there once you retire. Did you have the house moved from another location or did you raise it higher on its existing foundation? I really like the full length front porch you added to it.

D L

We had the buildings moved back 60 feet or so from where they were. The house was only about 30 feet from the road. Over the years as the road was widen, the road got closer and closer to the house. It was also very close to the ground so I had a 36" foundation made to set it on. Oh by the way. we are retired, 3+ years now, and really enjoying it.:eusa_danc

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Splinter said:
We had the buildings moved back 60 feet or so from where they were. The house was only about 30 feet from the road. Over the years as the road was widen, the road got closer and closer to the house. It was also very close to the ground so I had a 36" foundation made to set it on. Oh by the way. we are retired, 3+ years now, and really enjoying it.:eusa_danc

Well belated happy retirement to both of you then.:icon_thum :eusa_clap :icon_thum Adding that 36" foundation was a nice touch and obviously gave you the ability to add that lovely front porch. Again, great work.:icon_thum

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful renovation, that is a lot of work and something to be very proud of.

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Awesome work Dolan. If LOML and I tried something like that together there would be yellow crime scene tape around the yard 8-O

Outbuildings are one of the premium features of rural homes and you've done a great job adapting them for current use. But I confess to really liking the old smokehouse :cool:

Sapwood

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
sapwood said:
Awesome work Dolan. If LOML and I tried something like that together there would be yellow crime scene tape around the yard 8-O

Outbuildings are one of the premium features of rural homes and you've done a great job adapting them for current use. But I confess to really liking the old smokehouse :cool:

Sapwood

Roger you are not along in liking the old smokehouse. Most of the people that have come by really like the smokehouse. I regret that I didn't ask my farther to teach me how to smoke hams while he was alive. My wife has converted the inside of the smokehouse to a little museum of old things we have saved from the farm house and buildings and some of my parents things. The old buildings hold a lot of memories from my youth so I was determined to save them.

Thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS