2 Part Epoxy Storage

Flute Maker

Mike
User
From time to time I use some 2 part epoxy like you buy in the big box stores. I seldom use the whole amount.In the past I have been either using some zip ties to go around the cap on the end or putting a small clamp that would squeeze the cap tight. Most of the times this works but sometimes not.What do you guys do? Or is there some epoxy glues out there that are available in single or smaller use quantities?

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I do golf club repair from time to time and had a very small business doing that a while back. Epoxys for that come in single use packs, much like a ketchup pack at a burger joint. Those are great for mobile repair away from the shop. They also offere larger squeeze bottles with good, tight sealing caps. I usually got the 4oz bottles, one each epoxy and hardener, that can last a couple years and still work fine. Here is a link to one of the better suppliers. https://www.golfworks.com/epoxy/c/33/

Jeff

New User
Jeff
As long as the resin and hardener are unmixed both components should have a long shelf life. Atmospheric air has nothing to do with it so there's little sense to sealing the containers trying to exclude air.

I've used this 2 part epoxy with an applicator syringe. Available at Lowe's or HD. The mixing occurs in the nozzle and what remains in the nozzle will harden. They do give you an extra nozzle that can be used if you don't use the entire syringe.

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've never had an issue w/ the two part epoxy that comes in separate containers w/ caps. In some cases I've had them on the shelf for over a year and they still flow just fine. As Jeff pointed out, there is no hardening until the two parts come in contact.

I have had issues w/ the "syringe" type applicators Jeff referenced, and try to avoid those now.

I prefer the T-88 kit for small jobs.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I've never had an issue w/ the two part epoxy that comes in separate containers w/ caps. In some cases I've had them on the shelf for over a year and they still flow just fine. As Jeff pointed out, there is no hardening until the two parts come in contact.

I have had issues w/ the "syringe" type applicators Jeff referenced, and try to avoid those now.

I prefer the T-88 kit for small jobs.
The syringe type is the ones Ive had trouble with too.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Count me for three that has experienced issues with the syringe type. No matter how well the cap seem placed, they always manage to leak in storage creating a gooey mess.

FlyingRon

Ron
Air isn't much of a problem. I've got some west stuff that's in cans with pumps on them. The only issue is that the hardener will darken when moisture interacts with the can (can you say rust). West says this doesn't affect the cure at all, but obviously the stuff is no longer transparent.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Air isn't much of a problem. I've got some west stuff that's in cans with pumps on them. The only issue is that the hardener will darken when moisture interacts with the can (can you say rust). West says this doesn't affect the cure at all, but obviously the stuff is no longer transparent.

It isn't rust! The hardener is an amine and amines typically have some air sensitivity and they'll darken over time. I doubt that anyone would notice that the mixed and cured epoxy isn't transparent for woodworking uses.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

The syringe type is the ones Ive had trouble with too.

Count me for three that has experienced issues with the syringe type. No matter how well the cap seem placed, they always manage to leak in storage creating a gooey mess.

I think that all of you may be storing the remainder of the leftover epoxy incorrectly and that's when the leakage occurs. Remove the applicator/mixing tip and then.......

Wipe syringe tip immediately. Retract plunger slightly and close with the cap provided.

Store the syringe upside down with the cap facing upwards. Nonetheless it still doesn't last forever but it's not that expensive to chuck it when it hasn't lasted.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS