2 Old Saws

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I have these 2 old saws, one is 10" and the other is 12". Both have names etched on the blades, Bay Mfg, Co, State Saw. Both are very fine tooth and extremely dull. Does anyone know if these can be sharpened in view of the fact that they are so dull that teeth are almost non existent. If they can be sharpened, is there any place I can either bring or send them to get sharpened?

Attachments

• Saws.jpg
    Saws.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I'd be inclined to hang those on the wall for decoration and just use an inexpensive Japanese saw. I've never actually used a back saw.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
What Chris C said. The only issue I see, is that it looks like someone tried to make an open tote for the dovetail-sized saw, by cutting up a closed tote. Not having the bottom horns may make sawing difficult.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
@Graywolf teaches saw sharpening, not sure if he offers sharpening on the side. Doesn't matter how dull it can be sharpened, People can customize their own saws by starting with a blank, absolutely no teeth, lol.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have yourself a couple of nice saws that need a little TLC. They can be re sharpened and a new handle for the one and you could have a pair of good saws to use. If you’re interested PM me and we can discuss it.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Paul sellers has a very comprehensive (yet boring) video on youtube about re-cutting really worn teeth & sharpening.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have a couple of nice saws that can be returned back to use. They have good steel. Besides sharpening you may want to make a new handle for one. You can find templates online for this. I've replaced a couple of damaged handles and it's well worth the effort in the end.

Mauser44

New User
John
Paul sellers has a very comprehensive (yet boring) video on youtube about re-cutting really worn teeth & sharpening.
Most of Paul seller's videos are boring but very informative. I saw the one about sharpening the saws and it was the first thing I thought of when I read the initial comment

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I had my two old Diston's sharpened recently. Returned to service by Chris Black. redscabinet @yahoo.com.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS