$2 Lathe Steady Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
This is a steady rest that I have about $2 invested in, plus some other materials I had onhand.

DSC08129.JPG

I started the goblet in the photo last summer. But I really messed up and turned the stem before I realized I should have hollowed out the cup part first.:BangHead: :BangHead: So I needed a steady rest to complete it. I found a nice article in Woodturning Design Issue 23 that showed this style of steady rest. I found a used pair of rollerblades in a 2nd hand store for $5. That gave me 8 wheels but only needed 3 to make this.

DSC08133.JPG

I finished turning the goblet today and the steady rest worked really nice. Now I might try a bowl steady with some of the other wheels.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks super!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up
Did you dado the arms onto the ring so they wouldn't rotate off the centerline?

Truefire

New User
Chris
Daggone splinter i would rather have that than a storebought one, really. Neat to make your own quality tools sometimes. It really is, that is a cool design to say the least.

REally like it, thanks for sharing the edition whereby it may be found. :eek:ccasion1

Chris

Dragon

New User
David
That's one way cool rest you got there Dolan. You did a bang up job on that and I'm really glad to see someone making their own tools that work like the "idea:widea:" thought it would. :eusa_clap YOU ROCK!!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dennis,

I used a handheld trim router to cut the grooves 5/16" deep for the wheel arms. You want the groove just a "tad" wider than the arm so it will slid but not be sloppy. I got mine just a "smidge" wider than I wanted but they work fine.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I couldn't tell it from the pics, but I knew you'd either have to do that, or put a couple dowels in the rings for the slots to ride on. Good execution. I think I remember someone else doing one similar here last year so you haven't reinvented the wheel - but you have re used 3 of 'em!

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
That is a really nice solution to your problem. Could you give us some measurements? Is the ring made up of 2 pieces of wood screwed together? Thanks.

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nicely done Dolan :eusa_clap you seem to follow the ABC principles that I use for shop fixtures:

A - Always try to utilize what you have lying around the shop.
B - Buy used whenever possible.
C - Cobbled together in the shop as opposed to buying new is always better. :gar-La;

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Very Very Nice Dolan,

I need to make one of those, and a donut chuck and a long worth chuck.....

To bad your not a little closer, then we could have your shop on the Crawl. What a Shop you have, what a shop indeed~!

Thanks again for the ducting material.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
That is a really nice solution to your problem. Could you give us some measurements? Is the ring made up of 2 pieces of wood screwed together? Thanks.

Bob,

The ID of the ring is 14", the OD is 16". The article states this needs to be adjusted for whatever lathe you plan to use it on. I used two pieces of 3/4" plywood screwed together. The arms are app. 7 1/2" and 1 7/8" wide and are spaced 120 degrees apart. They need to be aligned with the center of the circle. The base needs to fit your lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS