1st Time Using Kem Aqua Plus

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
I thought it may be helpful to post my experience with this product.

My customer asked me to construct a hall tree finished in white. No tints, shades or variations from a base white color necessary. After some research and lack of availability of Mohawk products, I figured KA+ Low Gloss White looked like a winner. I purchased it at a SW retail store with a contractors discount for $50 and change tax included.

Equipment used was a 4 stage Fuji Mini Mite Platinum with a 1.3mm tip bottom or suction feed gun.. The PDS reads for HVLP application a tip between .055 and .070 = 1.397 mm and 1.778mm. I have a 1.8mm tip but didn't feel the need to experiment. From prior experience with Mohawk and ML Campbell Aqualente WB products, a smaller tip with high fluid feed seems to work best on my unit.

I did not use a primer. The two primers recommended by SW brings this finish to KCMA Standards, not needed in this case, but probably the same concept as using a Vinyl Sealer under a lacquer. Direct application was over Poplar frames and Birch ply panels.

We got a break from the high humidity and temp was approx 68-75 degrees on a cloudy day. Ideal for WB spray application.

Ford Cup #4 out of the can was about 25 seconds. First coat with limited fluid was a light, almost a dusted coat, to raise the grain and get some rapid drying. I sanded to smooth with 320 grit after about 30 min. though it was dry to the touch within 15. Second coated applied beautifully- almost a easy as solvent based lacquer. I did open the fluid control quite a bit. Flow-out was perfect, no micro bubbles and seemed self leveling. Vertical surfaces did not run either. The third coat was optional but I had some dark streaks in the Poplar that needed an add'l coat.

This product dries quickly in your gun so between each coat, I removed the air cap/nozzle/diffuser set, needle and diaphragm and rinsed with water and blew out with denatured alcohol. It's a pain in the a&& but worth the time.

Overall a great product to use if you are looking to transition to WB from solvent. I'm not sure if this can be used as a base to tint. But I like the depth of color in a pigmented lacquer.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use this quite a bit. Mostly, because I do not have many choices.

I normally seal the wood, either with their sealer recommended or I will oil/wax, then shellac, then spray the lacquer. No issues with either method. It works well for me

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I agree. I have been very pleased with the product. I do think a primer is helpful and I have used water based Kilz/BIN etc. but I much prefer their Kem Aqua Plus Surfacer. It sprays better. I use a Devilbiss Finishline HVLP primer gun with 1.3 tip for both.

These modern water based products are not the same as latex paint. Kem Aqua Plus leaves a glass smooth and very hard surface if the substrate is smooth. I do the old wet rag to raise the grain and then sand.

About 6 years ago I tried some tinted Kem Aqua. I had the SW tech try to match a blue color. It didn't go well and I was not happy with the result so won't try that again.
Several months ago, the kitchen before the last one, I had to drive out of the county and go to different stores to get the product. I hope that was a temporary situation. Also, it is usually not listed on their website for ordering ahead of time so you have to call for availability.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors