1ST Grandchild Project (WIP) - Completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Re: 1ST Grandchild Project (WIP) - Updated 10-31-09

That looks great!! I know it will see plenty of loving use!

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Re: 1ST Grandchild Project (WIP) - Updated 10-31-09

Looking great, Wayne! And congrats on the fast approaching grandchild.

tv

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Just a few more details to complete…..

I had to cut the curves on the stretcher and using my template and a pattern bit, clean up the profile.

Cutting_Strecher_Curves.jpg

Shaping_Stretcher_Curves.jpg

One thing that gave me a bit of a fit was the swing lock. The plan called for a stepped hole (3/4” down to ½”) for a stepped dowel that should have slid into a recess in the bottom rail of the basket.

Well…. After I spent too much time making the stepped dowel..
Drilling_Stepped_Dowel_Lock.jpg

….when I drilled the through ½” hole in the upright, it was off center with the ¾” hole and would not slide through the stretcher into the recess.

Decided on another recovery. Just drill the ¾” hole all the way through the stretcher. Cut a piece of ¾” dowel and screw a 7/8” diameter fender washer to the end of the dowel. (Thanks for that tip Joe!)

Lock_for_Swing.jpg

Worked like a charm!

Last was adding a cap to the stretcher…
Stretcher_Cap.jpg

Completed the keeper pegs for the stretcher mortise and tenon and finally ready for finish….

Ready_for_Finish.jpg

Got it all done today!!!

Gave it one very, very light coat of Minwax Golden Pecan stain, one coat of gloss wipe-on poly, steel wooled with 0000 and three more coats of satin wipe-on poly.

Cradle_Completed.jpg

(Picture looks a little darker than it really is. Camera trickery!:eusa_doh:)

Now I turn it over to the LOML to design and make a mattress and bedding.

Again. This was a fun project, in spite of several new woodworking techniques learned. (Cutting M&T, through mortises, slot cutting and plenty of band saw and template routing for the curves.)

Hope that it will be well used in the future!

Thanks for looking and bearing with me through all of this detail!

Thanks,

Wayne

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
great work!:icon_thum bet that one will be passed down for quite some time.:eusa_clap

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Gorgeous work, Wayne. The tusk tenon is a nice aesthetic (betcha thunk I didn't know any fiddy cent words!) touch.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Wayne, that turned out VERY nice!!! Excellent work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors