1st for me Repair Suprise

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
So, my Porter Cable FN250 16 ga nailer died. I figured it is 15 + years old I
ll get a new one. But, before I do let me see what went wrong.
So.................... I open it and look inside and WTH ?!?. I see what looks like dried rosin in the gun piston area.

I dump it out and am thinking what in earth disintegrated ? hmmmmm I look up an exploded diagram and figure it out.

Ahh, the piston bumper dried out and died..... all that remains is the crumbs. Anyway, I order the 12 dollar part online I cleaned it up and made sure there were no other issues or parts that needed addressing and when the new part arrives I am back in business (16ga wise). In the meantime I am just using the 15 & 18ga guns.

Weird thing to find in a gun.

Attachments

• Finish nailer (1).jpg
    Finish nailer (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • Finish nailer (2).jpg
    Finish nailer (2).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • Finish nailer (3).jpg
    Finish nailer (3).jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 76

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine did the same thing. I think those shock bumpers were made of polyurethane or some sort of compound that doesn't age all that well, especially when not used regularly and left with oily water in them.........

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Well it did set for 3 years...... :rolleyes: :D I misplaced in a box of books, or maybe when I moved the movers put it there.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've seen that some over the years. Senco tried that poly stuff for a while but got so many complaints, they revamped and upgraded the product to use rubber instead. Their SKS staplers and SFN-1 finish tools were the main ones that had to be internally changed.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had the same issue with my 20+ year old FN250 that I rarely use. I bought the replacement parts and was back in business. I don't use mine enough to justify a new one.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Had the same problem with my Porter Cable Framing nailer (Might be the same model as Rich posted). New bumper and retainer clip and back in business. Gotta love ereplacementparts.com.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS