1st end grain cutting board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

Chris
User
0831140856.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=75262

I picked up some of the cherry that was in the classified section of this forum the other week. Made this from some of it. I bought a used dewalr 734 this past Winter off of craigslist. So I can now go from edge grain style cutting boards to end grain. Finished with mineral oil and then beeswax & mineral oil. I did not realize how much oil end grain can soak in.

Chris

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Looks great Chris. Excellent use of the sap wood in there too. Glad the wood worked out well for your project.

-Kevin

ck1999

Chris
User
I planned the edge grain glue up, not the end grain glue up. The end grain was smothed with a lot of sanding! I have misplaced my scrapers. I just ordered some from www.tgiag.com for some new boards coming up.

Chris

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice looking. Yes endgrain will soak up the oil. If you really flood it on one side you might even see it coming through the opposite side depending on the density of the wood.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I found a local mill work shop that would run my endgrain board through their widebelt sander. I can't remember how much he charged me ($10 - 20), but it seemed well worth it. Both sides were flat and parallel and I was in an out in under 20 minutes.

By the way. Nice looking board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS