1948 Craftsman Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
My mother brought this lather down from NY when she came to visit. This lathe was giving to my stepfathers father in the mid 50s and has been sitting in their barn ever since.

Its going to take some restoration to get it in working shape (any advice?). I'll also need to get a motor.

I was able to find an owners manual online:
http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/craftsman/1948-103-23070.pdf

I'm not too familiar with turning so if anyone can add any more information about this particular lathe I would be interested to hear.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That looks just like the one I picked up a little bit ago. (except colors)

Can you snap a pic of the hold down plate for the tailstock? Mine is simply a block of wood right now.

rywilson

New User
Ryan
ptt49er, uuuhhh when I said I'm not familiar with turning that may have been an understatement :gar-Bi

Can you be more specific about "hold down plate for the tailstock"?
I'm not really sure what part that is.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
The tailstock is the part to the right in the picture. The nut that is on top of it threads onto a bolt that runs through the tail stock and to a plate under the rails/ways of the lathe. It's what locks the tail stock in place.

Clear as mud?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have one of those too, I offered it to Andy Barnhart, but I don't know if he will ever get over here to pick it up.

It seems to be a good solid little lathe for spindles and small boxes/bowls. I wouldn't push it on bowls though because the bearings are not designed for much end pressure.

Check your bearings and get you a motor, take a class or get one of the members in your area to give you some pointers to get you started.

Did it come with any lathe tools? Look like long funny shaped chisels.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
........ and another one succumbs to the darkside!:eusa_danc
As far as cleanup, start with a mild solvent & some Scotch Brite. A rubber sanding block with fine grit wetordry or sanding sponges also works well on tougher spots. Check all bearings for rust & end play. Is it ball bearing? You may need to replace some. Get all sliding surfaces clean & degreased then use automotive paste wax.

J

jeff...

To your mother you will give it back, consume you it will. Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice

J

jeff...

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will...

Rob

New User
Rob
I will say I took the basic lathe course and the bowl course at Klingspor. Well worth the time and the money. Look into it. If you go, take your own face shield, their glasses are quite scratched up.

J

jeff...

I will say I took the basic lathe course and the bowl course at Klingspor. Well worth the time and the money. Look into it. If you go, take your own face shield, their glasses are quite scratched up.

Lost to the dark side you are - to the Jedi temple you must come - must training receive you there.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
And where is this jedi temple, because I definitely need more training.

Be careful in Jeff's Jedi Temple. He will try to convicne you that turning wood back round is a BAD thing.

Jeff, you can fight the dark side, but eventually you will succumb to it's forces!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors