1940s Dunlap 103-0603 Lathe Restoration

awldune

Sam
User
If you live in a wooded area, consider keeping a handsaw in the car. Whenever you see a fallen limb, that is turning stock!

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Hello. If you have not yet found a drive center I have one with a 5/8" bore you can have. I have a dead center bored to the same diameter. Let me know. I will put them in the mail.

PappiJoe

New User
E
Hello. If you have not yet found a drive center I have one with a 5/8" bore you can have. I have a dead center bored to the same diameter. Let me know. I will put them in the mail.
@Cuthriell thanks, I ordered a drive spur so I could play with the lathe like I did. Ill let you know if I need it.

PappiJoe

New User
E
Ok it took a while, but the restoration is officially complete.

The pictures show both possible configurations: (1) drive spur, and (2) 1"x8tpi headstock adapter w/ 3" faceplate/screwchuck spindle.

Attachments

• IMG_7831.jpg
    IMG_7831.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7833.jpg
    IMG_7833.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7834.jpg
    IMG_7834.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7836.jpg
    IMG_7836.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7838.jpg
    IMG_7838.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 97

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Nova makes lathe chucks with adapters to fit just about every woodworking lathe made since the 1920's. I bought one for an old Shopsmith Magnus lathe that had a 5/8 shaft and set screw lock. They had an adapter for it and I bought both at a woodworking show. My son has the lathe now, so I can't show pics. of it. Nova also makes jaw accessories to fit this chuck. This info is just in case you get it fully restored and wish you had a chuck for it.

Charley

PappiJoe

New User
E
Nova makes lathe chucks with adapters to fit just about every woodworking lathe made since the 1920's. I bought one for an old Shopsmith Magnus lathe that had a 5/8 shaft and set screw lock. They had an adapter for it and I bought both at a woodworking show. My son has the lathe now, so I can't show pics. of it. Nova also makes jaw accessories to fit this chuck. This info is just in case you get it fully restored and wish you had a chuck for it.

Charley
Thanks Charlie, I am calibrating expectations considering its size (6”- maybe 8” tops) and motor (1/3HP).

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It often puts me in a quandary when looking for adapters and the such for this type of machine. Do I buy and adapter and then a chuck/faceplate to fit the adapter, or do I buy the chuck/faceplate specifically to fit the machine? If I do the former, will it be something I am willing to sell with the machine at a future date, or in the case of the latter, am I going to get a decent ROI?
It all depends on your enthusiasm and whether it wanes and you tend to lose interest, I suppose.

PappiJoe

New User
E
It often puts me in a quandary when looking for adapters and the such for this type of machine. Do I buy and adapter and then a chuck/faceplate to fit the adapter, or do I buy the chuck/faceplate specifically to fit the machine? If I do the former, will it be something I am willing to sell with the machine at a future date, or in the case of the latter, am I going to get a decent ROI?
It all depends on your enthusiasm and whether it wanes and you tend to lose interest, I suppose.
I will do what I can with what I have now and evaluate where I want to go once I know I have reached the limits on this machine vs the skill I develop in it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS