$180 Framing Square ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nope! :nah: Definitely not.

Bill

I also think this is excessive. I can see paying a premium for a better quality tool when it is a machine or at least has some moving parts such as a combination square. In this instance we are talking about two pieces of metal joined at a right angle, nothing more. I am sorry if I offend anyone but woodworkers in the 18th century seemed to be able to make square layouts and that was hundreds of years before CNC machines were used in tool manufacturing. JMTCW. :wsmile:

manfre

New User
Manfre
They seem to be focusing on it being a collectors item, more than a use it everyday tool. Only reason I can think they'd do a single limited run. It doesn't even list the accuracy of the square; a pet peeve of mine. I don't care if a square is only accurate to 0.1" per foot, as long as I know that is how accurate it is.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
But if I drop it on the floor........
I'm sure there are people still out there with money to burn and these folks seem willing to help tend the fire.

bwat

New User
Bill
I like Woodpecker stuff but this one is TOO much IMHO. I believe they justify their cost here because it is machined from a single piece of stock with the addition of the plate. Their should be no loss of stock in this build since the pieces "spoon" to be cut efficiently. I don't get it either.

What "carpenters" would see the value here and it appears over the top for any WW profession?

Not for me.:no:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Too rich for my blood.

While I think every shop needs to have a "reference square" this is a bit too much. I verified the squareness of my tablesaw top using a precision scale and the 3/4/5 rule and use that as the reference against which all my other squares are checked.

Believe it or not, the best square I have is a 40 year old steel framers square that probably cost $15.00 new.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
An anvil & a ball pein hammer can correct most framing square inaccuracies. I'd hate to do that to a $179 anodized square.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Dennis, is there anything you can't correct with an anvil and hammer? :gar-La; :rotflm:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Putting on my more serious hat (I was wearing a different one when I replied to Dennis :) ), I seriously wonder why anyone needs that sort of accuracy for marking. For cutting, I understand, but not for marking. I can't mark a line all that accurately (past maybe .005) with a pencil; the straight edge erodes some graphite from the side as I mark. A marking knife will follow the grain a hair here and there. Are my marking skills weak?

well I have spent to much money on woodpeckers stuff in the last 3 months

I do not like this one time run deal .... I understand why they are doing it and I have bought a few of them.... I got the 48" ruler that was a one time run and 6" marker ...

you can buy there stuff normally cheaper with free shipping from other sites thought

the other thing I will mention when complaining about the prices is that woodpeckers is a husband wife team manufacturing everything in the USA ..... so when I buy a straight edge from them I understand why it will cost more then the Aluminum straight edge I bought at harbor freight

Also most pinnacle products at woodcraft are made by woodpeckers just a different color

Glennbear

Glenn
Putting on my more serious hat (I was wearing a different one when I replied to Dennis :) ), I seriously wonder why anyone needs that sort of accuracy for marking. For cutting, I understand, but not for marking. I can't mark a line all that accurately (past maybe .005) with a pencil; the straight edge erodes some graphite from the side as I mark. A marking knife will follow the grain a hair here and there. Are my marking skills weak?

I agree with your thoughts Andy, I have found the best solution is an X-acto knife with a fairly fresh blade using care if your ruler is aluminum. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS