17/32" Drill Bit ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I'm building a new router table (Norm's design) and ready to drill the shelves for the router bit storage. I have a 9/32" drill bit for the 1/4" shanks, but I'm having trouble finding a 17/32" for the 1/2" shank router bits. Northern Tool has them as part of a set for $45 but I figure there's got to be a cheaper way to drill a few holes. Anyone out there have any suggestions?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Why do you need to go a 1/32 larger. I made a bit holder and just used the same sized drill bit for each router bit shank size. They fit well with no wobble, but aren't hard to remove at all. Maybe I have enough run-out on my drill press that I get a slightly larger hole??? Try a test hole to see if you like the fit.

Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Just take a folded bit of paper, like four folds thick and insert it on one side of the chuck so that the 1/2" bit is off center by that much and you will get a hole that is larger by the amount of the folded bits of paper. It works really well.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I drilled them with my 1/2" drill bit first and glued up the first drawer before I thought to check the fit... another rookie mistake for me... but the shanks are too tight of a fit. Then I checked Norm's plans and they called for the 17/32". A 9/16" drill bit leaves too much wobble. So I guess I should have trusted good ole Norm in the first place.

Hadn't thought about building a "wobble" into the bit. I'll try that trick after church today. Thanks for the feedback.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I got mone from Rockler,. I think I payed less than $10.00. I don't see it in current cat. This isn't unusual though. It is a brad point bit. Give them a call and ask. They don't have individual brad point bits in current cat. Sorry I can't give you part #, but it's raining and I don't want to go back out to shop.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
UPDATE

I tried the wobble trick using six pieces of painter's tape on one third of the drill bit, but it didn't work for me. Maybe I tightened the chuck down too much, but I had very little change in the hole diameter.

So at lunchtime I took a little ride over to Northern Tool & Equip. Voila! They had a 17/32" drill bit for $9.99. Can't wait to get home, chuck this sucker up and see how the drawers come out.

BTW.... if there are any WW'ers in the Charlotte area that ever need to borrow a bit this one will probably gather some dust in my bit cabinet for a while. Would be glad to loan it out to anyone. It's not a brad point but it should work fine for drilling bit holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors