16 auger bits for $30 - MAYBE a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Morning Andy,
I haven't used those bits nor have I bought anything from Heartland. However one of my friends has bought from them several times, items from yard ornaments to power tools.
Every thing they bought turned out to be junk. If it had a moving part, it broke, if it had paint, it peeled.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have had mixed experiences in the past. Some of the stuff they sell is from major manufacturers and really is older model NOS being liquidated. But they do seem to mix in the imported junk that I have never see anywhere else ("Tornado" tools?). I really only need the long ones in a few sizes, so it may not be a great deal for me anyway, after thinking it over.

CarvedTones

Andy
Harbor Freight has the long ones for about 14-15 dollars right now.

Wayne

Each or per set?

I need to check the ones I have (hodge podge of 3 or 4 sizes, mostly brace bits). I may be better off getting a couple to flesh out what I have to keep the steps (drilling for a taper) from being too big.

wayne

New User
wayne
Set of 3 18" long.Go on their harborfreightusa.com site look at the current sale paper on about the 17-20 page.They have all 3 sets on sale,stubby mid length and extra long.

Wayne

M

McRabbet

If you want to drill just one hole with each size, then each hole is roughly $2. But I doubt you'll ever use every size (not even use half of them), so why buy poor quality? If you need two sizes and need to drill many holes, buy good quality bits. I bought an Irwin 18" long 5/8" ship's auger a few years ago and have drilled dozens of holes through RR ties for rebar -- despite dirt and grime, the bit still shoots holes effortlessly. The bit was about $20, but worth every penny.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want to drill just one hole with each size, then each hole is roughly $2. But I doubt you'll ever use every size (not even use half of them), so why buy poor quality? If you need two sizes and need to drill many holes, buy good quality bits. I bought an Irwin 18" long 5/8" ship's auger a few years ago and have drilled dozens of holes through RR ties for rebar -- despite dirt and grime, the bit still shoots holes effortlessly. The bit was about $20, but worth every penny.

+ 1 for buying only what you need and QUALITY - buy the best

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
-1 for buying the best. Buy what suits your needs in the most economical way. I started out following the advice to buy only the GOOD bits when I needed them. Seemed like I never had what I needed...each time resulting in a 45-min trip to the store or making due with what I had. When I upgraded to a new router with a 1/2" collet, I bought the MLCS 66-bit set for a little under $150. A bunch of people said "you won't use half of those bits, so it isn't worth it, just buy good bits when you need them". Well, I have to say they were almost right...and entirely wrong. I've used about half the bits, which still puts the ones I've used at about $5/bit. They're pretty darn good quality - none have dulled noticeably and some have been through a few hundred feet of wood. I've saved myself about 20 trips to Woodcraft and a few hundred bucks. I'd do it again in a second. Same goes for the $35 16-piece forstner bit set from HF. When I _do_ wear out a bit, I won't hesitate to buy a high-quality replacement...because then I'll _know_ that it's a bit I'll use enough to justify the cost.

Of course, none of this helps with the original question, because I have no idea if they're any good :(

Just my 2c
Chris

wayne

New User
wayne
-1 for buying the best. Buy what suits your needs in the most economical way. I started out following the advice to buy only the GOOD bits when I needed them. Seemed like I never had what I needed...each time resulting in a 45-min trip to the store or making due with what I had. When I upgraded to a new router with a 1/2" collet, I bought the MLCS 66-bit set for a little under $150. A bunch of people said "you won't use half of those bits, so it isn't worth it, just buy good bits when you need them". Well, I have to say they were almost right...and entirely wrong. I've used about half the bits, which still puts the ones I've used at about $5/bit. They're pretty darn good quality - none have dulled noticeably and some have been through a few hundred feet of wood. I've saved myself about 20 trips to Woodcraft and a few hundred bucks. I'd do it again in a second. Same goes for the $35 16-piece forstner bit set from HF. When I _do_ wear out a bit, I won't hesitate to buy a high-quality replacement...because then I'll _know_ that it's a bit I'll use enough to justify the cost.

Of course, none of this helps with the original question, because I have no idea if they're any good :(

Just my 2c
Chris

I second chris analogy.If you have a hf close by buy theirs and if you are'nt happy return them get a refund and buy elsewhere

Wayne

CarvedTones

Andy
Yeah, it looks like we got a new member from Far Eastern NC. :)

On the quality versus economy question, for this particular application I did end up buying one smallish (3/8") high quality bit to get a pilot hole that is dead straight and then just about any larger brad point bit is fine to follow it. Spiral auger bits turned out to be just about useless; even good quality ones won't pass a sobriety test. :rolf: Economy brad points aren't much better for the initial hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS