13" Jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
Hi I have a really old piece of beautiful Honduras mahogany that was acquired in the 80's but it's rough saw and I do t have a Jointer wide enough to clean up on face I can plane and do the rest I just need to clean the one face, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated... thank you so much

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
What *do* you have to work with? There is nearly always more than one way to get something done, but you have to tell us the equipment and skills you *do* have, not just what you do not have, before we can effectively tell you how to take what you already have to hopefully get the job done (though in the case of jointing and planing, there is always the traditional route if one is up to a good workout). For example, do you have an 8" Jointer, or better, and do you own a thickness planer that can actually plane the full width of the board (many benchtop planers are limited to 10-12.5", though some can do up to 13", but no more than that...and many stationary planers can handle 15-20")?

If you do not own a jointer that is something better than half the board's thickness (such as an 8+") and/or a thickness planer that can handle the full width of the board (and ideally a bit more) then you have basically five alternatives, the traditional route with hand planes, borrowing time in another member's shop (which is something of a tradition around these parts and the simplest route), you can surface with a router and suitable jointing and thicknessing jig/sled (very, very, slow), or use a planer sled to joint on your thickness planer, if it can handle the full width of your board (and ideally a bit more) -- or the more painful, but still practical, alternative of ripping the board down to a more manageable width (such as 6") on the tablesaw and then piecing back together afterwards if you really needed the full width (glue can sometimes let you work a miracle, and, yet, the glue line is stronger than the wood it bonds).

But the point is that there are nearly always alternatives, you just need to let us know what you do have to work with and what you are willing to accept as a workaround -- some require a lot of skill and/or time (like hand planing and jointing or using a router jig), others, like borrowing time in another's shop, are quick and dirty for a one time job. Suggestions will then follow close behind, as may possible offers for shop time (that is what friends are for after all, and hobbies are a great place to discover new friends) should you elect the easiest route.

Good luck!

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
How long is it? If not too long, my first choice would be a planer sled. If it's really long, then I would go to using a router jig - essential 2 straight rails and a "trolley" for the router. Google "router sled" for a whole bunch of different designs.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have a 15" planer. I'm about 35 minutes east of Raleigh. No charge if you want to make the drive.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a sharp Stanley#8 but fresh out of spinach.:wsmile:
Seriously...chop off what you need instead of dealing with the whole board. Knock off the high spots until it sits flat with a handplane and run it through a planer with that side down. When the top is flat, flip it over and flatten that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS