#12 1/2 Wooden Base Finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I snagged a 12 1/2 Cabinet Scraper a while back and the wooden base was worn down to the point that the screws were showing through the bottom. I cut a 3/8" thick replacement base out of some mystery South American decking wood (rose colored, heavy, tough) Dino gave me. No idea what this stuff is but the though mortise for the blade was murder on my drill bits and chisels.
Anyway...what finish would you use on this or would you leave it unfinished? I plan to dye it dark brownish/black to match the original Rosewood (?) and then put something to seal it but not something which would smear off. I have a can of Armour Seal which I'm leaning toward.
Thanks!

nelsone

New User
Ed
If it's an oily wood, I'd leave it natural. Maybe just some paste wax if necessary. Sounds like you got a piece of ipe.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
The top and sides are all you have to worry about, you of course would not finish the bottom. The armour seal is probably fine. I would probably give it a couple shots of lacquer since I have the lacquer sitting there ready to go. A lot of the old factory finishes were lacquer, I guess because it was cheap in bulk and dries fast .

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'd throw out another option. While I'm not positive this would work on Ipe (mystery wood), a lot of old planes soaked their wooden bodied planes in a thinned solution of Boiled Linseed Oil and Turpentine.

Today, if I understand it, BLO is linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits, so might not need to thin it.

This added mass to the plane. Some think it also reduced wood movement by filling up the pores.

I enjoy "Some thinks", but don't always do the.

On the other hand, Ipe is so dense and heavy, probably not required.

I agree with others on waxing the sole.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS