12” Sliding Miter Saw Blade Recommendation

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
What are folks using for a sliding miter saw blade? I have a DW779 and plan to use that blade for rough work (2x syp). I plan to cut mostly 3/4 hard and soft wood stock but may end up with some 8/4 or more at times.

My only requirements are full kerf and something less expensive than Forrest.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Can't go wrong with Freud blades.

I have also been pleasantly surprised with a couple of Dewalt blades I bought, one 60 tooth and one 100 tooth. Both have performed very well and have remained sharp for over three years, so far.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Despite your wanting full kerf, look at the Diablo 96 tooth blade from HD. Best bang for the buck, IMHO.Remember, you have up to one year (90 days on other means of purchase,) to take it back if bought on a HD credit card. In 364 days, you will know if you are happy or not with this blade. Check Cripe Distributing's web store for some good deals on blades

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I found Diablo and other thin kerf blades to work fine is simple cross-cuts, but in a compound miter, I get curved cuts. My saw is not a slider, so that may make a difference, but going to full width next time I need it. Do pay attention to the hook angle. Most crosscut blades are too steep for safety. Amana is one company who makes a full kerf, low angle blade. A steep angle as in a TS blade will tend to lift the work.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I’m seeing that 12” saw blade prices are a bit more than 10” variety. I looked at Amana, CMT and Freud and all of them were over $100.

My preference against the thin kerf is that I have also noticed blade deflection with the thin kerf blades from Freud in my current 10” miter saw and 10” RAS.

Another observation while reading the various manufacture literature is a move toward combination blades—a lot more options compared to single purpose blades. I don’t plan on ripping boards with the sliding miter.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I use a Freud 12" LU85R012 Ultimate 96 tooth blade (over $118) that I've had since 2006, but if you want a less expensive alternative, I'd recommend the Freud Diablo D1280X 80-tooth blade, found here for about $55.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is exactly the issue I was facing with the DeWalt 12" saw. I ended up with the 12" Forrest chop-master like others have commented, no issues since.

On 10" chop saws the wavier in the cut especially on compound angles is manageable, but once you get to 12" the waiver in the blade on thinner blades is really noticeable.

I found Diablo and other thin kerf blades to work fine is simple cross-cuts, but in a compound miter, I get curved cuts. My saw is not a slider, so that may make a difference, but going to full width next time I need it. Do pay attention to the hook angle. Most crosscut blades are too steep for safety. Amana is one company who makes a full kerf, low angle blade. A steep angle as in a TS blade will tend to lift the work.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It's important to make sure the miter saw blade is a miter saw blade. Look closely at the packaging as it will state what the blade is designed for. I would buy and install an 80 tooth or more blade. Do not skimp on the blade cost as price usually equals quality. A miter saw blade of good quality should give you straight cuts at any angle. Do not use a combination blade as all your cuts will be crosscuts. Good luck and enjoy your new shop saw!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Klingspors branded saws and router bits are high quality and give just as much band for the buck as other top brands, just lack the fancy packaging. You get the quality and save money at the same time.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Any thoughts on Klingspor brand? This seems like a good option

I definitely don’t want to cheap out on a blade, but why pay Cadillac prices when a Toyota will do?

Specs are right. Negative hook angle! Correct for a sliding miter or RAS. Might lust look at their 10 myself.

Do remember: the blade does the cutting. The saw is just what holds the blade. I understand some blades may hold a premium for brand name, but it is actually pretty competitive among the top tier.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Negative hook angle is a must. Also on most sliding miter saws there is some horizontal blade deflection. The sliding rails are not strong enough (look at the hefty arm on a RAS) to resist this movement. Also the bronze bearings that the rails slide through will wear over time increasing this problem.

Pop

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I ended up ordering an Oshlun saw blade SBW-120096 after using my Oshlun branded dado blade setup yesterday. And the recent issue of Fine Homebuilding rates their track saw blades highly. For what it’s worth Amazon reviews are also good.

My saw arrives tomorrow and the saw blade on Monday. After getting it all setup I’ll report back.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
The Oshlun blade arrived before my saw and now that I have both I tried a few test cuts simple trim and it worked well. For comparison the Oshlun blade is a bit thicker than the OE dewalt.

C1009AB2-9847-4330-AE7D-8D125CAACBB4.jpeg
DB308F6F-537B-482C-8776-8CCC089616B7.jpeg

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Plus 1 for the Klingspor blade. Also you get it 10%off as a NCWW member.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tell me more about 10% off for NCWW members? Does this apply to the whole store ? Any more info would be nice
When you reach DQ status (look through your profile settings for the requirements), you'll get a 10% discount on several non-power tool items that they sell.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think wood is also excluded from the discount

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS