100 Year Old GLOAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I went to Charlie's house this weekend. He had hauled this old lathe that he used to work with up from his basement by himself. He gave it to me and refused to take any money for it. I am going to donate some money to NCWoodworker instead! This is my first lathe and I am really excited.

This Lathe is at least one hundred years old. I cleaned some rust off it and turned my first handle for an Oland tool today. I wonder if the Lathes made today will be around in 100 years.
100_1139.JPG

View image in gallery

Pretty cool huh!!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Wow - very nice! I left Charlie off my list earlier; he planed a board for me once and then gave me an old jointer plane form his museum in the basement. The very spirit of North Carolina Woodworker. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dan,

Congrats on such a terrific score. And no, I don't believe the tools built today will be around in a 100 years (I know there are a few exceptions... but very few.)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thats a solid old machine! should be around another 100 years.:icon_thum Charlie is a good guy and if it's the Charlie I'm thinking of he has a killer shop too! that rates a big ol YOU SUCK for sure!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers you may want to rig a cover for the drive system to keep the chips out of the works. :icon_thum

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Dan, It looks good sitting in your shop, after being under mine for 9 years. I'm glad I was able to find a new home for it. Enjoy:eusa_danc

Roger, I bought it 42 years ago for $100 along with an old flat belt driven 12" planer. The lathe is about the samw size/weight as a Jet 1642.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Way To Go Dan~!

Charlie YOU ROCK~!

And That thing sure is Heavy~! I'm not sure how Charlie did it himself~! :icon_scra

As Me and Dan had to carry it together and it was DANG HEAVY for Sure~!:XXfridge:

Nice pictures Dan and good setup already~!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Looks like we need to have a goldsboro turn and learn

Sounds good Earl~!

Oh and hear are the pic's when it was at Charlie's shop before we knew what Charlie was going to do.

Extensions on the left, for massive leg turning or Baseball bats:

In Motion

And Square Bolts??? Wow that is Cool~!

Again Super Gloat Dan~! Charlie You are truly a Great guy~! Very Generous~!

Thanks, I think I enjoyed it almost as much as Dan did~!

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I go with Fred on putting a cover on the pullys and belts,but not so much for chips,but for safety.I'm not knockin the tool,but its just to easy to get hurt workin that close to open pullys and belts.looks like a heck of a lathe there.Always nice to know a good time Charlie :icon_cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS