#1 Grade 2x4?

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Does such a thing exist. I've been building a lot of Farmhouse stylish dimensional lumber pieces for some locals. It is always hit or miss what the big box stores carry for 2x4's. Home Depot here in Knightdale appears to have 2 suppliers. The stuff I do not like is on the bottom rack but the stuff I do like is on the top 2 racks.

Question. Is there any place around Raleigh that I can get nice clear-ish 2x material. I'm ok with paying a little extra more (reg prices now is ridiculous) for some better quality material. I do have the ability to mill rough lumber but not sure if it is worth the time.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
look at 2x8 or 2x12, these are generally straighter than the 2x4, usually better quality than 2x4, and then you can rip down use as 2x4.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I needed a non pressure treated 4x4 I got it at Capital City Lumber. Just be prepared to pay more.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I was going to say same as Neal. Buy a 2x12 or 2x10, most or many of them will have been sawn from the middle of the log with pith in the middle and quarter sawn wood on each side. Cut out the pith.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
I do not know if you have any "real" lumber yards in your area. I find the quality of the lumber much better than the local Home depot or other box stores. Been awhile since I was looking for really clear boards but the lumber yards used to carry clear pine in various dimensions again been awhile since I purchased any but give them a try. I also agree with the wide boards, as mentioned above if you go with the widest you will likely get nice quarter sawn pieces, just sort through the wide ones. One other thing is go for longer boards ie 12' or longer.

Bob

wooduser

New User
Lecil
You might check with a truss manufacturer. Some of the manufacturers carry #1, SS and DSS southern pine in 2x 4 thru 2 x 10. Two problems with this is a manufacturer may not want to sell lumber to individuals and there is a lumber shortage at this time.

Lecil Alexander

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Traditionally, #1 or better is 1" oe less tight knot rated wood with no wane in the grain (side drift graining caused usually by a larger branch). These days I don't know what anyone calls anything, but was the standard from the west coast timber scaling reference.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would look into 8/4 poplar and make what you need. Kiln dried, furniture grade and pretty cheap.

Red

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Capitol City lumber in Raleigh has #1 grade SYP 2 x 4s. Will that work for your farmhouse tables or do you prefer SPF?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS