1/4 Sheet Finishing Sander Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Anyone have any recommendations for a 1/4 sheet finishing sander? It looks like all the big names (PC, Bosch, Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.) are all in the $50 - $75 range which is where I'd like to keep the price.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I'm quite satisfied with my DeWalt 1/4 sheet orbital sander. It accepts both PSA and cut sheets (I prefer cut sheet).

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
IMHO, the biggest problem with sheet sanders is changing the paper. I encourage you to try it before you buy it and choose one where you can do this fairly easily.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mike, I bought this Porter Cable model a few months ago from Lowe's. They had it for $39, when everyone else was at $45. As Susan pointed out, changing paper is one of the key sticking points. I chose this one because the spring clips open wide and it's easy to change. No extra tools required. It also orbits at 14,000 OPM, which is good for finish sanding. Some models operate as low as 10,000 OPM.

HTH

Bill

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Mike,

I really like my Porter cable 330 Speed-Bloc Sander. I've owned it for more than 20 years. It lacks dust pickup but I use it on my down draft table so it works for me. It has good weight, balance and very low vibration. Check it out here.

bobby g

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like the Makita one. I looked at the DeWalt model, almost bought it, but there was something that steered me toward the Makita. Can't remember what it was, I think it had something to do with the clips holding the paper. Can't go wrong with either one, or the PC one for that matter. They're all extremely similar.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Another vote for the PC 330. I own several. New they are a little over $100, but used can be had for $15 - $30.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have a Makita that is 15 years old or so and it has never failed me. But then again I hardly ever user it. If I cannot use a scraper I prefer my Bosch ROS. Mostly because how easy it is to change paper.
Salem

BSHuff

New User
Brian
The Bosch has a new system for attaching plain paper. I saw it at one of the stores and played with it for a moment. I had several of the Rockwell/Porter Cable Speed-bloc 330 sanders that treated me well. I would however frequently end up with numb fingers after using them at any length.

I almost completely put away the 1/4 sheet sanders after getting variable speed ROS and and Festool 6" short orbit finishing sander. That festool blows my mind... Are you set on 1/4 sheet for a particular reason?

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
For you guys that can afford it, the Festool is far and away the best. But you are looking at a serious price tag. With the dust collection unit ur looking at $600+ depending on the particular unit. BUT the dust collection is absolutely amazing. You can literally sand in your living room and the area will probably be cleaner than it was before sanding! The hook and loop sandpaper ain't cheap either. On the more affordable side, I used the Makita for many years and never had a problem with it.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Thanks for all the suggestions. I just got a Milwaukee ROS for Father's Day and have been looking into a sheet sander for the spots the ROS cannot reach. On second thought though I'm going to use the ROS for now and see how much I end up hand sanding those hard to rech spots to see if buying another sander is justified.

And as several of you mentioned I've borrowed a cheap Ryobi 1/4 sheet sander before and changing the paper was painful in comparison to the ROS. The PC 330 being the exception because it seems to use it's own adhesive sand paper.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
SO I am late in pointing out that I concur with Bas and Salem about the Makita 1/4 sheet sander being OK. :eusa_doh:

cpw

New User
Charles
I have a PC that I bought 6-7 years ago. It does just fine. One thing I like it is that my 1 1/4" vac hose fits right on the dust port. I don't think the newer models are like that, however.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
SO I am late in pointing out that I concur with Bas and Salem about the Makita 1/4 sheet sander being OK. :eusa_doh:

Not at all. Thanks Tom. If I end up deciding to invest in a 1/4 sheet sander I'll definitely take a hard look at the Makita with all positive feedback I'm getting on it. Thanks!

Don Alexander

New User
Don
clamp style paper holding on a 1/4 sheet sander is better than self stick fine sawdust and self stick paper quickly cause major frustration in keeping the paper attached to the sander

if you get one be sure you get one with easy to use clamps

however you may very well end up not getting one once you put that Milwaukee ROS through its paces

BSHuff

New User
Brian
Now that you have a ROS, save your pennies and get a Fein (or a CORDED copy) detail sander instead of a 1/4 sheet. They work very well for getting in places that a orbital sander will not as a sander, and they are awesome tools for other things as well with the scraper/saw blades. The cordless ones seem to not have enough power for long enough, but the corded ones last all day!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have both a ROS and a 1/4 sheet PC and I NEVER use the 1/4 sheet. That's my 2 Cents.
I'd say I use my ROS about 95% of the time. The only time I've heavily used the 1/4 sheet sander was when sanding door panels. It's hard to get into the corners with a ROS. I will occasionally use the sheet sander to sand the edges of a board, it's just too easy to accidentally round it over with the ROS.

But yeah, I doubt I'll wear out the sheet sander in my lifetime.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
For my hand sanding I use the following:

1) 5" DeWalt and 6" PC ROS (my primary sanders, used probably 70-80% of work)
2) DeWalt 1/4 sheet OS (for sanding edges and gentle sanding of thin veneers)
3) Fein Multimaster (for getting into corners and areas that neither of the above can reach)
4) Sanding Sponges (to quickly touch up corners the other sander's missed or odd profiles)
5) Sanding Blocks (typically for quick touch up or hand sanding)
6) and very rarely -- profile sanders (either PC or Fein Multimaster)

I also have the Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander which comes in very handy for other odd jobs. And for really detailed sanding of thin edges and curves, sanding bands for my scroll saw can come in very handy. Additionally, I also have some pneumatic sanders as well, but they simply duplicate the above.

I would not part with any of my sanders. Though I may use my ROS for the majority of my work, they are not ideal for all tasks. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors