1/4 Sheet Finish Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
My old B&D finish sander finally bit the dust today.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I have looked at so many on the internet and it is hard to decide without using them all.

I would like to get as much comfort, durability, and value as possible.

Thanks for any feedback.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have been very happy with my PC model.
21CMWDEWTRL._SL500_AA156_.jpg

It's several years old so I don't think that the model number would still be applicable. It comes with a punch plate to put the holes in the sandpaper sheet for good dust collection. It has probably lasted as long as it has because I don't use it as much as my PC/Klingspor ROSs. But it's a handy thing to have to get into corners and along straight edges without marring the other surface.

Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I don't use a 1/4 sheet much but when my old Sears quit, I picked up a $9.95 HF to finish a job and it's still working fine. Don't know how about it's longevity under stress, but like I said I don't use them much.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I own several of the PC "Speed Blocks." But be prepared as a new one is over $100 now. They will still be going, when I'm gone though. Of course I didn't pay over $25 for any one of mine. Picked um up at flea markets, and pawn shops. Cheapest one was $5 at flea market. Since I converted all my ROS to hook and loop, I use left over PSA paper on "Speed Block." Just use existing paper and slap it on, no fancy pad.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I have a craftsman and it works fine but I don't use it much.I havn't used any other brand of 1/4 sheeter so I can't compare.Tony

kirkpj01

New User
Kip
I have used the Bosch for the past couple of years with great success. Paper loading is quick.

T

toolferone

First, you do have a ROS, right? If so and you want to replace your 1/4 sheet, Bruce is on the mark as far as the best one on the market. I have one and don't use my old Makaita anymore so I might be willing to sell it. Let me know.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My speed bloc is so old it is a Rockwell. The design got sold to PC and is now their model 330. It is a great sander but has no dust collection. For that reason, I bought a Rigid 1/4 sheet. It worked well for about 18 months and then quit. A month or more at the repair place and it still doesn't work. So I bought a Milwaukee ROS and I will use the speed bloc when I have to have a 1/4 sheet sander.

Jim

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks for all of the input, guys.

I decided on the P-C 342 from Lowes. I bought it yesterday (No picture, so no gloat). I compared it to the equivalent DeWalt. The P-C was $44.95; the DeWalt was $49.95. I would have waited for the Veteran's Day 10% discount, but there was only 1 left. The DeWalt came with a case, but I give those away anyway because they get in the way.

After looking closely at the two, except for the color of the plastic and the vent design, they look like they had both been made on the same production line in Mexico. I like the filter on the P-C better because it is rigid instead of cloth. The filters are marginally effective at best, so that may not be an issue.

I hope that the P-C gives me as many years of service as the old B&D since it was made in Mexico too..

Again, thanks for your insight.

T

toolferone

The filters are marginally effective at best, so that may not be an issue.
quote]

In my opinion the filters are a waste of time comparerd to hooking up a shop vac to it. The difference is night and day. PC sells a nice small flexible hose that hooks to the sander and then you get an adaptor to fit it to your vac. I was sanding mdf last night and had no dust cloud.

Enjoy your new sander, that is once you prove you actually have it :gar-Bi.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I bought a Craftsman (model 315-279840) a couple years ago. IMHO don't waste money on one like it. Dust pickup was okay with a vac, altho no known vac will attach to it without modification, and the bearings started going after only about 25 hours usage. Since I have started using cabinet scrapers, I seldom need a 1/4 sheet sander, just using hand sanding blocks instead.

Go

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I have had a Porter Cable 330 1/4 sheet sander for 20 years and it is still going strong. Have replaced the pad several times, but it is just normal wear and tear. It is still being made. Saw it in the Klingspor catalog last night for a good price. Get one and use it for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS