木組展おうちでミュージアム

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Remarkable craftsmanship. There is a strong sense of pride in doing things right. Thanks for posting.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I can't imagine the level of precision craftsmanship involved in the construction shown in this video, truly amazing! It also makes me feel a very inadequate. Considering the very small projects I have built and the magnitude of my measuring errors, building a house with the joints these craftsmen use is beyond my comprehension. Also, I would love to have some of the big chisels these guys use...not sure what I would use them for, I just want to have them.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I can't imagine the level of precision craftsmanship involved in the construction shown in this video, truly amazing! It also makes me feel a very inadequate. Considering the very small projects I have built and the magnitude of my measuring errors, building a house with the joints these craftsmen use is beyond my comprehension. Also, I would love to have some of the big chisels these guys use...not sure what I would use them for, I just want to have them.
Donn they're called "slicks" and every timberframer has one in his tool box.

Reactions: drw

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing, I can't imagine what it would cost to design and build like this here in the US.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing, I can't imagine what it would cost to design and build like this here in the US.
While a little different - timber framing is alive and well here in the US
While I agree with you that it can be costly, there are advantages to the finished product, especially if you like timber features on the interior of your home...

Also, I am guessing these guys are bettign on the desire of people to want timber frame homes and buildings;

I watched a series in 2020 on a young couple building a timber frame home and it was really enjoyable learning about all the intricacies and myriad decisions that have to be made. Here is a link to that channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Purelivingforlife/videos

Some people call them frauds and there is some suspicious things about whey they stopped vlogging about their property, but, they bought land, lived in a trailer while building their timber frame home, so even if they were scamming and simply making money off the channel, they did build a timber frame home!

bainin

New User
bainin
While a little different - timber framing is alive and well here in the US
While I agree with you that it can be costly, there are advantages to the finished product, especially if you like timber features on the interior of your home...

Also, I am guessing these guys are bettign on the desire of people to want timber frame homes and buildings;

I watched a series in 2020 on a young couple building a timber frame home and it was really enjoyable learning about all the intricacies and myriad decisions that have to be made. Here is a link to that channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Purelivingforlife/videos

Some people call them frauds and there is some suspicious things about whey they stopped vlogging about their property, but, they bought land, lived in a trailer while building their timber frame home, so even if they were scamming and simply making money off the channel, they did build a timber frame home!

The best part is - he did this with a Shopsmith tool - Which continually gets a bad rap as an inferior tool- even here where we should know better :)

If you're making bird houses on a SawStop...you've mismatched your requirements with your capitol equipment needs more than the guy building timber frame homes with a Shopsmith.

I maintain that the limit on workmanship is first and foremost the workman, rather than the tool.

Sure you can get bad results on any improperly setup/misunderstood tool...but thats on the workman...not the tool :)

That Video of the master craftsmen in Japan demonstrates just how far the result depends on the craftsman and maybe more importantly their
philosophy of work overall. Sure-he isn't going to house the entire city in a custom build like that, but you're damn lucky if you happen to be one of the few
who gets a home like that! There will always be a place for demonstration of just how far high quality can go ! Something to strive for !

b

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS