Search results

1. J

Plane Good Deal (maybe - what do you think)

I was talking with a friend today who told me that somebody had dropped off some tools and that I should come by and look them over before he hauled them to the dumpster. Anyways here's what I brought home (from left to right) Stanley #220, #2, #3, Bailey #5, ??? Not sure what this one is...
  2. J

JET VS Lathe Gloat

Picked this up yesterday from a Craigs List post. Came with some tools, a mandrel, and several pen kits. Not 100% sure what to do with it yet, but should be getting a turning lesson this week. Thanks to JimM and woodartz for telling me to run and not walk to get it - I believe I got a very...
  3. J

Do you think this is a good buy?

Been looking to purchase my first lathe and would love your thoughts regarding the price and quality on the one available at the link below. http://charleston.craigslist.org/tls/1574775153.html Thanks
  4. J

First attempt at a Rocking Chair

After a very long time, I completed my first attempt at a Rocking Chair. A couple of years ago WoodWrangler mentioned this guy http://www.kappelusa.com/ in one of his posts. He emailed my a Word document with some general directions and I proceeded. Many lessons were learned; the biggest one...
  5. J

Looking for suggestions/help for a TV Cabinet

I'm looking for some direction for building a cabinet to house our TV, DVD, etc. The thing that is causing me the frustration is how to build it so it will look aesthetically pleasing when the ceiling slants as it does and the "platform" is triangular rather than square. Basically wanting...
  6. J

Reintroducing myself and a band saw question

Hello everyone. It has been a loooong while since I logged in and participated in the discussions. My family and I have moved from Raleigh back to Charleston SC. I wasn't sure if once I moved out of NC if I would still be able to post and participate so I have just been lurking and reading. I...
  7. J

Router Bits

Well, I asked a question a couple of days ago about a router table and received a ton of helpful information so that leads me to my next question. I'm new to using the router and want to collect some bits - what are the most basic bits that a new beginner must have? I probably won't be doing...
  8. J

Laminate for my router table

Does anyone in the Raleigh/Clayton area happen to have a 1/2 sheet of laminate they need to dispose of? I'd like to have a 4x4 sheet (that I can cut in half) for the top and bottom of my router table top. Or any recommendations of where I can find it a less expensive price than I saw at...
  9. J

Router Table Question

Looking to build a router table - something simple and sufficient. I came across these free plans on the Internet and thought I'd run it by the experts before proceeding. http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive98/7_10johnsrtab1.html Another question I have - what is the normal height for one...
  10. J

Finished Cash Wrap

Here are some pictures of the completed cash wrap I built for a guy's new store. Super special kudos to Dave O for the advice, help, and encouragement:eusa_clap and the hands on instruction for installing the European hinges.:icon_thum
  11. J

Nesting Tables completed

Finally completed 4 sets of tables for a friend. This was a nice simple project for this beginner and I enjoyed the process.
  12. J

Finally Finished Hope Chest

I finally completed the cedar-lined hope chest. This is one of my first project completions and I appreciate the help/advice many of you gave. The biggest lesson I learned - Finishing is a whole new art and I need a lot more practice.
  13. J

Need help building a Cash Wrap-Pic Attached

I have built a few simple items for a gentleman and he has asked me to build a cash wrap for him. It could me made out of birch plywood and hardwood for the trim, drawers,etc. I am a little concerned this may be out of my league (particularly the drawers and overall layout) so I am wondering if...
  14. J

Refinishing a finish

I'm still working on getting the correct look on the hope chest I built. I used brich plywood and poplar. Per the advice I received here, I also applied the shellac and then the gel stain and everything turned out beautiful except the front (why couldn't it have been the back:crybaby2: ). The...
  15. J

Need some advice

I just completed a hope chest. I used birch plywood with poplar trim (edge joined, molding, as well as the base) I want the stain to be like Red Mahogany. Is there a way that I can get the poplar trim to come anywhere close to the same color as the birch? I tried on several sample pieces and...
  16. J

Greetings everyone! New member here and am looking forward to exploring the past posts and gleaning all the information. I am just getting into woodworking and was happy to find this site as a soucre of help.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS