Search results

1. J

Pin Nailer

Cordless: DeWalt cordless pin nailer
  2. J

Looking for glue & finish recommendations

Interesting idea, thanks. I didn't realize that automotive clear was available in satin, but apparently it is. Might be something to experiment with.
  3. J

Based on past experience watching finishes get hammered by UV on direct-sun decks, I agree totally -- which is why the original plan was for latex paint. If it were up to me and I knew we were looking for a natural finish I would have used teak. Probably shouldn't have shown any work in progress...
  4. J

Hey, all -- I have a small outdoor table in progress, but I haven't done that many outdoor builds and I'm looking for some advice. This piece will be on a roof-sheltered patio, but outdoors nevertheless. First, I like using hide glue for furniture but I'm wondering whether outdoor temperatures...
  5. J

New Member form Weaverville, NC.

Hey, Scott! Nice to see you on this forum -- your stuff looks great. Do I recognize that spalted hickory? Jeff Hankin
  6. J

Finishing Workshop series

Wish I could attend just about all of them, but it's over 3 hours each way for me. Outstanding agendas, though.
  7. J

My wife wanted a bench ...

That could be uncomfortable ... A bottle opener might be a nice added touch, though.
  8. J

Just wipe-on satin (oil) poly. If it were all maple I would have started with a BLO/Tung/Poly sealer to punch up the figuring, but the rosewood is way too oily to handle that. Note: Bolivian rosewood (aka Pau Ferro, aka Morado) is not a true rosewood, but frankly it seemed even oilier than...
  9. J

Asheville area hardwood and plywood suppliers

Another place that should be on your list is Cormark in Weaverville. Lots of exotics. I don't recall ever seeing plywood there, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
  10. J

Hello from Black Mountain

Beautiful work on your IG page. Welcome.
  11. J

Thanks! They're traditional breadboard ends, with three tenons (center one glued) anchored with walnut pins from the bottom.
  12. J

That's true -- these tenons were bigger than the Domino sizes. With those I would probably have used two tenons on each leg.
  13. J

The thing is solid as a rock, but she says it's not to sit on, just to look at. This decision is above my pay grade.
  14. J

Floating tenons. Cutting across this crazy maple grain with mortise and bench chisels gave me some headaches, but I got there with a little help from a drill press on the legs -- that rosewood is hard stuff. Each night, I dreamed of owning a Domino. :)
  15. J

... with a simple design but really nice wood. (She also asked for it by the end of last January, but that didn't happen.) Anyway, it's finally done -- 48" long, curly maple and Bolivian rosewood. This has got to be the most expensive and heaviest bench ever. The design is a composite of some...
  16. J

jointers

I recently purchased a Wahuda 8" benchtop jointer, and after about a couple of months of use I've been very pleased with it. It has extension supports that can be adjusted to match the plane of the cast iron beds, and a spiral (not helical) cutter head that uses four-sided carbide cutters. The...
  17. J

Advice for small 2 stage dust collection ... shop vac size

I have a Ridgid shop vac, and use a Dust Deputy cyclone installed on a fiber drum. Can't remember whether the drum is 10 gal or 15 gal, but I have two of those, and they're easy to switch out quickly since they've got those locking metal lids. I never had much luck with the plastic buckets...
  18. J

Latest Harpsichords

Just stunning. Beautiful, beautiful work.
  19. J

replacing Workmate tables

I replaced mine with 3/4" plywood that was left over scrap from other projects. They've been fine. I'll probably get another several years out of them and then do the same thing again. Total cost: $0
  20. J

New Scam Member

Mark Esper is the Secretary of Defense, isn’t he? I guess we should have felt honored that he chose us as his spam targets.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors