Search results

1. Dorm

DIY porch floor finish-sealer

We are nearly finished with a project of adding a screened-in porch. For construction, a lot of rough sawn southern yellow pine material was used, and so most of the finishes will be natural wood surfaces with a clear finish. For the floor, it's a bit different and/or frustrating as I'm just...
  2. Dorm

Another workshop design question

I recently moved and am planning to build a small workshop ... likely 16x16 or 16x20. I have limited space on the lot, but feel either size will work. I definitely need to be way more efficient with storage of material and especially tools. Main tools are portable tablesaw, bandsaw on casters...
  3. Dorm

Advice for small 2 stage dust collection ... shop vac size

Situation ... I moved this year to new location and am currently working out of 1/2 of the garage. I need something small for dust collection. I like a 2-stage approach allowing the 'junk' to be separated and to not have to constantly clean filters. I've done a fair amount of research on...
  4. Dorm

Free project table saw ... come and get it

I have an early 70’s vintage Craftsman 12” tablesaw that if someone wants it ... come and get it. It was my dads saw and I’ve had it a few years and it always worked well. Recently the bearings went out in the motor and I’ve tried to replace them and reassemble the motor with no success. For...
  5. Dorm

Electric motor repair shop needed

I've been using my dad's vintage Sears Direct Drive 12" Commercial Table Saw for some time now but I'm having issues with the motor. I need to pull the motor and take it to a repair shop for a look-see. The issues appear to be either bad bearings or possibly a bent rotor shaft. If someone...
  6. Dorm

White Portland Cement

Anyone know where I can buy the White Portland cement in the Raleigh-Clayton area. The only store I've found is Capital City Lumber - they show on their web page as having it, so I'll give these a call. It's just a bit of a drive for me being down towards the Benson area. And yes ... I've...
  7. Dorm

Feedback please on planer selection

So the Delta benchtop planer my wife bought me 10 years ago pretty much died yesterday. I knew it was on borrowed time, so I've been waiting and looking at new ones. I'm considering the Rigid R4331 and DeWalt 734 models and would appreciate your recommendations on which to purchase. Ciao ... Dorm
  8. Dorm

Maloof design ... arms to leg joint

An idea I have for a future project is an outside bench seat out of white oak material. I want to incorporate some of Sam Maloof's design with this and it looks to me that Sam's joint between arms and legs is purely a glue joint, as in no doweling, screws or other. Is this the case with this...
  9. Dorm

GF Outdoor oil ... sticky second coat

Hi all and happy new year! On Monday I applied a coat of General Finishes Outdoor (oil) to a project and per instructions on the can, allowed it to dry 10-15 minutes and wiped off any excess with a clean cloth. It has been humid, so I allowed 2 days to dry before applying a second coat...
  10. Dorm

Concrete Top Sealer

I'm building an Egg Grill station for my son in law and using a concrete top ... roughly 2" x 26" x 5'. Does anyone have experience or a recommendation on a sealer for the concrete top? The grill will stay outside, under a porch, but still open to the elements ... sun, cold, heat, rain...
  11. Dorm

Fuming ...

So ... I've been curious about fuming and decided to look at using this process for a project I'm doing now, using red oak material. Prior to doing anything with the project I decided to do some test pieces with BLO wiped on or not, and to better understand the affect fuming had on the wood...
  12. Dorm

To sterilize wood or not ... think twice before you say no

I realize to most woodworkers on here that this is a moot point. But, in the past, I'd been on the fence as to whether to sterilize green, or air dried wood. Today however, the more I work with green and/or air dried wood there's high probability of bug infestation and/or eggs. To that end...
  13. Dorm

Clear coating for boat trim

A friend has asked me to help refinish some wooden trim on his boat. It is a saltwater rig, and the wood looks to be either teak or mahogany ... I'm not sure. Regardless, these are fairly small and the finish has weathered. I'm not sure what the present finish is - maybe a 2-part finish with...
  14. Dorm

Suggestions for porch furniture finish

First off ... I am an experienced woodworker, but my knowledge when it comes to finishing is scant. Most of the work I've done in years past involved painted surfaces, and I struggle with staining, clear surfaces. I'm fairly ignorant of the good practices or processes involved to get...
  15. Dorm

Help with spray on lacquer

I’m fairly frustrated here. So I’ve tried to spray lacquer from a can on some small pieces and for some unknown reason I get the below result. Also the lacquer flakes off on similar pieces when I reapply a second or more coats. Yes, I rough up the surface either with 120g sandpaper, steel wool...
  16. Dorm

Removing bug dust ... is there an easy way?

I've been using some oak for small furniture pieces, which has the typical bug holes, tunnels and resulting dust. I'll selectively fill in some of the tunnels and/or bug damage with epoxy for a decorative finish, but the dust is difficult to remove. I've made some small needle sharp tools to...
  17. Dorm

Boric Acid or other solution for wood protection

I have a somewhat small stack of rough sawn material which I dearly want to protect. Most of it is oak, SYP, some maple, poplar and mahogany. All of it is lying around the shop in various stacks, except a bit of rough sawn oak, which is stacked outside on stickers. I am about to finish a shed...
  18. Dorm

Finishing Oak material for porch furniture

I'm building furniture to use on our back porch and the material is white oak. I picked up some rough cut material, that's still pretty grainy and rough even after planing and sanding ... but still it's perfect for my application. After getting into this, I've done plenty of sanding and...
  19. Dorm

Epoxy filler

I am using some oak for a project and need recommendation for epoxy filler to pour in some bug damaged areas. I wanted to use this material for many reasons, but one planed surface has a 6" long wood borer slot that I'd like to fill in. I need to be able to sand the filler once hardened. I think...
  20. Dorm

TE Johnson Lumber ... closing

I live out in the Cleveland School area and over the past few years TE Johnson Lumber has become my "go to" place. With much of what I've built, like my barn and potting shed for the wife, I used the rough sawn southern yellow pine. Imagine my sadness when I was cycling by (the pedal kind)...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS