Search results

1. Dorm

Another workshop design question

Fantastic advice gents - thanks. Ditto on the tall ceilings and fewer windows. In my last shop I had too many windows, and thus eliminating wall/storage space. I did build with cathedral truss design as had plenty of height for longer boards, etc. Thanks again for the advice
  2. Dorm

DIY porch floor finish-sealer

I'm almost at that point and definitely "yes" on the wood bleach or oxalic acid ... been there done that! I'd also considered your idea for oil based mix, as I'm constantly making my own oil based mixes and finishes for projects. My concern was with BLO and its attraction of mold and mildew. I...
  3. Dorm

So, here is sort of the look we're trying to get. And again, my preference is for water based material for reasons already stated. Here is a look similar to what we're trying to get, albeit not quite as much 'orange' or pink tint as is in this image.
  4. Dorm

We are nearly finished with a project of adding a screened-in porch. For construction, a lot of rough sawn southern yellow pine material was used, and so most of the finishes will be natural wood surfaces with a clear finish. For the floor, it's a bit different and/or frustrating as I'm just...
  5. Dorm

Got it! I’ve done a ‘to scale’ layout of the floor and each wall to plan for storage with: clamps, nails, screws, lumber, hand held power tools, etc. I can certainly use the overhead floor plan to locate bench position and best side to slot the bench to accommodate chop saw. AND by extension as...
  6. Dorm

Jack, I’d appreciate it very much. I’ll dm you the contact info
  7. Dorm

Barnwood - first time and probably my last -update finished!

Hi Alan... it was my intention to reply to the original poster, so my comments were not related to anything you are doing. I am well familiar with the challenges presented from working with bug infested, warped, rough sawn material. It takes a lot of skill and patience to produce a quality...
  8. Dorm

I recently moved and am planning to build a small workshop ... likely 16x16 or 16x20. I have limited space on the lot, but feel either size will work. I definitely need to be way more efficient with storage of material and especially tools. Main tools are portable tablesaw, bandsaw on casters...
  9. Dorm

Barnwood - first time and probably my last -update finished!

Looks like you have lots of suggestions here. I know personally what a pain working with undimensioned material is like. My style favors the look of unfinished surfaces but it sure makes it tough to get straight lines, no cracks, even surfaces, tight mitres, etc. Maybe you said the best piece...
  10. Dorm

Cheap? Diamond stones???

Hank, the simple method I described above works best for me. To me, the suggestions mentioned might serve as a ‘standard’ and given one’s budget, then ones may choose the ‘Std’ or look for alternatives. I use the site as a “go to” for solutions, what experienced woodworkers use, techniques, tips...
  11. Dorm

Cheap? Diamond stones???

Thanks Mike. Exactly what I was after! And how hard or complicated was that ... not! While I’m here, what’s your preferred water or oil stone? I have a smoothing plane with a wide iron so anything 3” or wider is what I’m looking for.
  12. Dorm

Cheap? Diamond stones???

Respectfully I disagree. This is a simple request which only complicates when ones diverge from the request or try to read in more than what’s asked. As in, bonding technique for diamond stones, what type glue is used, intricacies of making diamond stones, ad nauseam. I’m confident the...
  13. Dorm

Cheap? Diamond stones???

Might there be just simple list of best to worst stones for either diamond or natural out there? I cannot endure the time and/or torture some of these utube vids take up and still never provide a solid recommendation. Something simple like this would be beneficial to me. Ciao ... Dorm
  14. Dorm

Advice for small 2 stage dust collection ... shop vac size

All ... your feedback and comments are much appreciated. Similar to Raymond's suggestion I found this one as well. Super simple to do and a small footprint as well. I liked this guys straightforward, get to the point approach with his video. I've ordered the stuff and hopefully it will have...
  15. Dorm

And I didn’t have to type much at all Ciao ... Dorm
  16. Dorm

Thanks Jeff ... this is the info I need. The dirtiest machines I use are a DeW 735 planer and a Metabo tablesaw. The tablesaw is notorious with not discharging sawdust and the discharge clogs. The times I’ve hooked up the shop vac directly I spent way too much time dumping sawdust and cleaning...
  17. Dorm

Thanks guys, but I need to be able to use my shop vac as the suction source. My space is extremely limited, ergo I need to use what I have. Are there suggestions for using my shop vac in conjunction with other components? Ciao ... Dorm
  18. Dorm

Situation ... I moved this year to new location and am currently working out of 1/2 of the garage. I need something small for dust collection. I like a 2-stage approach allowing the 'junk' to be separated and to not have to constantly clean filters. I've done a fair amount of research on...
  19. Dorm

Woodshop Preference

I built a pole barn at my place near Clayton. It was 24x24 ... 10' walls with cathedral style trusses for added height. I poured a slab and had way too many windows. I liked the light but there was not enough wall space for cabinets and/or storage. It has a 36" side entry door and 2 each...
  20. Dorm

Free project table saw ... come and get it

I have an early 70’s vintage Craftsman 12” tablesaw that if someone wants it ... come and get it. It was my dads saw and I’ve had it a few years and it always worked well. Recently the bearings went out in the motor and I’ve tried to replace them and reassemble the motor with no success. For...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS