Search results

1. JohnnyR

Computer desk

Just finished this desk in time for Black Friday so the wife has a place for her soon to be new computer. Curly Maple, OSMO finish, drawer front has sliding dovetail for the sides.
  2. JohnnyR

Not your typical sofa table - for raffle

Cherry finished with OSMO. Flip it over for a plant stand.
  3. JohnnyR

couple of stools

Built these based on a Charles Brock design. Walnut and Maple finished with OSMO. I got the 10/4 maple at the Hardwood Store and picked the 8/4 walnut out of the cut off bins. I hadn't done much sculpting before. Hogged the seat recesses with a Kutzall grinder. That is very hard to master so...
  4. JohnnyR

Don't think it's worth it?

GOTCHA! Buy some tickets - spread the word! I posted this on North Carolina Woodworkers website...
  5. JohnnyR

cross grain thin wood movement

I'm making an chaos end grain cutting board with end-grain mahogany boarder for my daughter to give as a wedding gift. Not my first rodeo but ended up with more waste (i.e. more cutting board on the floor than in the board) than planned and an 11"x19" isn't appealing or as useful. So to make it...
  6. JohnnyR

Potty cabinet

Had to rush to get this finished before some minor surgery. Cabinet to go over toilet for my Daughters new Apt. w/ tiny bathroom. Two piece hard maple and bloodwood. Bottom shelf slides out to access tank. Had to improvise some feet levelers out of some gliders, t-nuts, bolts and epoxy (over...
  7. JohnnyR

Lake Table part 2

Sorry, part 2 of a long story, read Lake table first Got the approximate distance between them and cut out this to connect. Eventually morphed into this, which I cut out some shop made veneer glued onto walnut - wondered if I shouldn't have used all oak but it turned out well.I was able to use...
  8. JohnnyR

Lake table - my unique design and build (actually build and design) process - or Charlie made me do it!

Sorry, this is a long post so I'll continue in another titled Lake Table part 2 I'm in possession of a beautiful turning of Charlie's and bookshelves don't do it justice. I needed a table to prominently present it. I had seen some live edge waterfall tables online and with not much of an idea...
  9. JohnnyR

Working with brass

I'm making some curved and rounded laminated table legs. They will be screwed to two round disks above and below the middle of the legs. I'm considering plugging the screw holes with brass. Since this can't be done until after final assembly, I can't use a router to flush it. I'm concerned that...
  10. JohnnyR

Why are some pictures in threads full screen and some smaller that can't be zoomed?

I've only uploaded pictures from my folders without issues so this question isn't for myself. I've seen threads with links to photos and pages with multiple photos that can't be zoomed. For example Graybeard's great photos in his latest post I wanted to zoom in but couldn't. And this is not a...
  11. JohnnyR

Chaos or shoulda' had a SawStop

Just got back in the shop after a month+ off after deeply slicing my right thumb on a kitchen mandolin on Christmas day. Was making a chaotic cutting board as a gift for friends who had invited us down to Fl for a holiday. No matter how light a 'cut' on the drum sander, I always end up with burn...
  12. JohnnyR

Suitability of Oak & poplar for end grain cutting boards?

Normally I wouldn't consider this but culling through my off-cuts I've got a lot of this and can't think of anything else to do with them. Not worried about aesthetics as would mix in other woods. Worried about open grain of Oak and softness of poplar.
  13. JohnnyR

Charlie - Man of the Year!

Came home to see Charlie's turnings grace the cover of the latest Klingspor's catalog. Well deserved!
  14. JohnnyR

0% moisture?

Last thing I just did for a bed I made was cut the support slats. I bought some poplar a few weeks ago & cut four slats. 9% moisture content. I cut the fifth slat out of another piece of poplar that I had lying around for who knows how long - at least a year, maybe a decade. When I picked it up...
  15. JohnnyR

Simple graphics needed tonight.

Need a simple sign for the Klingspor celebration tomorrow. I posted on that thread but I'll copy it below. I'm just not artistically or computer savoy enough to do it justice. If anyone can help let me know. The final can be brought if you're going or PM me to send it and I can print it on...
  16. JohnnyR

reclaimed mahogany - finished Kitchen work table

Thanks to Phil's efforts to reduce waste in the landfill I scored 5 solid mahogany 6 panel doors. After cutting them up and planing them I ended up with a pile of lumber. My daughter's moving into an apt. with a large kitchen space but little counter space so I designed a table. I made a 2'x4'...
  17. JohnnyR

Plethora of riches, what to spray with?

I'm building a kitchen work table for my daughter. Maple with Mahogany (thanks Phil) end grain butcher block top and mahogany slats on the two shelves. Already finished the top with shellac and Waterlox (won at last years raffle) I plan on finishing the Maple and slats with shellac and Target...
  18. JohnnyR

Raffle winners

I won the Fuji spray system at the raffle. I just sent off a thank you to Fuji for their donation. In addition to showing our gratitude, if all the winners do the same it may make future requests for donations more agreeable to the donors. And thanks Jeremy and all others who helped put this...
  19. JohnnyR

great essay on value of teaching WW to kids...

Came across this essay on ncwoodworker facebook post: https://merzkecustomwoodworking.com/2017/10/29/investing-in-the-future/
  20. JohnnyR

Some innovative designs

Have to be a math genius to figure these out. https://www.facebook.com/Creapills/videos/1674369469261067/

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS