Search results

1. D

Not Fine Woodworking but...

I thought I'd share a sketch of a thing I did up for our local FIRST Robotics team. One of the other mentors donated a CNC router setup to the team. We needed a way to keep it mobile so it can get put away when we're not using it. The table is too wide to fit through a doorway when it's...
  2. D

SketchUp Workshop Online

I'm willing to do online SketchUp instruction.
  3. D

Planer Rollers?

I'm wondering about the rollers in my DW725 planer. Is there something I can clean/rejuvenate them with or should I just plan to replace them. Today I was planing a huge pile of cherry and found that the rollers sometimes slipped and they were covered with dust or very tiny chips from the...
  4. D

I think a Bigger Shop Is Called For

I collected most of the workbenches I've done for plans over the years. Some of you might recognize some of those. Every time I'd get a workbench plan done I'd think that's the one for me. Then another one would come along and I'd think I should build this one instead. I'm thinking that now...
  5. D

A Limbert-style Side Table

I was looking through some photos and came across something I thought a few folks might be interested in. A few years ago I did plans for a Limbert-style coffee table for Fine Woodworking Magazine. My brother was trying to come up with a design for a side table to put between a couple of Morris...
  6. D

A Charles Rennie Mackintosh-Inspired Wardrobe

I thought I'd share this video series. Maybe some of you will find it entertaining and you might learn something, too. It starts with a trailer. As I type, episodes 1 through 6 are up. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQll2Vb7ndCw--Y4lVORYA Full disclosure: Steve is a friend of mine who...
  7. D

Labor Saving Device for SketchUp Users

The other day I modeled this bench which is based on a Swedish design from the 1940s. To save time in modeling I used a tool from the BoolTools 2 extension called Trim to cut the mortises, grooves, holes for wedges, and the notches in the legs for the seat planks. This makes quick work of...
  8. D

A Recent Table Project

I recently had an occasion to model a trestle table that can be extended by adding leaves at each end. This is based on a table from Sweden dated to the late 1800s. Yesterday there was a fellow who is planning a trestle table with an extendable top using equalizer type slides and he wants...
  9. D

Fine Woodworking Live 2020

Is anyone planning to go? I just saw this on the Fine Woodworking site. Interesting lineup with Sir Roy as the keynote speaker. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2019/10/31/from-the-editor-get-ready-for-fine-woodworking-live-2020
  10. D

Grandfather Clock--Seeking Movement

I'm working on a plan for a grandfather clock I want to build. It's based on one from around 1900. On the original, the chains for the weights come out through the sides of the box enclosing the movement and go over wheels mounted outboard something like I've got in the next image. Is there...
  11. D

Getting into Hand Tools

Look what followed me home. Just kidding. This is behind the cash register in the Duluth Trading Company's flagship store in Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin. I was in there last week and snapped a shot of it. It was purchased by the CEO of the company. The case was made by Christian Becksvoort.
  12. D

Max File Size for Resource Uploads?

What is the maximum file size for resource uploads. I'm trying to upload a revised version of the plan for Pop-Pop's Moxon vise but get a message that the file size is too large. It's 3.4Mb.
  13. D

Bed Side Rail Join

My son and I have been looking at bed designs in preparation for building him a bed. He likes the design of the day bed in the background of this image. It's a design by a French furniture designed from the mid to late 1940's. I modeled it up and quickly modified it for a standard mattress...
  14. D

How to Add a PDF File in Resources

I've done this before but today it doesn't work. I'm trying to upload a PDF to the Resources area. I initially get a place to upload the attachment but it doesn't show when I finalize the resource. I tried attaching it in another location in the Resources edit window but get a message that the...
  15. D

A Stand for an Old Delta Scrollsaw

I designed this stand for the old Delta 24" scrollsaw that I grew up with. The other day I was thinking I need to go buy the oak to do this. Then my wife asked me to come look at some wood in her parents back garage. There's probably enough white oak there for this thing and a huge pile of very...
  16. D

Stand for an Ancient Delta 24" Scroll Saw

Yesterday I was out in the shop tuning up the old Delta 24" scroll saw that my grandfather had in the shop when I was growing up. It's been sitting on a "table" made of a piece of plywood across a couple of sawhorses and I got to thinking I should make a stand for it. Most of the stands I've got...
  17. D

iBox Help

Mike needs help with his iBox. ;)
  18. D

Underground Furniture

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uwoX2k37A
  19. D

Question re: Patterns for Turning

If you have a pattern for turning printed full size on paper similar to the one on the right, would you want dimensions on it? If so, what dimensions? Would you want just an overall length to check the printing with? Would you want diameters at certain points along the leg? Thanks for your time.
  20. D

Dining Table

I thought I'd share some images of a dining table I designed for clients in New York City. They wanted an extension table large enough to seat 10, or even 12, for their frequent large Friday night meals but they wanted it to suit their smaller family the rest of the week. They asked for a wood...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS