Search results

1. cyclopentadiene

How get rid of sawdust?

I live in the city. The garbage truck takes it away. Unfortunately they will not go to my shop and sweep it up or empty my dust collector drum
  2. cyclopentadiene

Windsor chair seat blanks

I have always wanted to build a Windsor chair but the seat is not my deterrent. Splitting out the back from a green log is the challenge for me. I would actually prefer to make everything from Cherry or Walnut as opposed to pine and oak or hickory then finishing with milk paint
  3. cyclopentadiene

First Try

Unrelated comment. i love the MG. My first car was a MG midget. I still carry a MG keychain 44 years later! Very fun to drive
  4. cyclopentadiene

Seeking advice on a hot water heater tank stand

Thanks for the feedback. I have only experienced these in International hotels and perhaps commercial variants are much better than those for home use. Honestly once we went to a really large water heater, we never had issues running out of hot water. I never really observed a difference in...
  5. cyclopentadiene

Seeking advice on a hot water heater tank stand

I agree if you can go tankless, best option. Be aware there are limits. We have 5 bathrooms and a tankless is best with 3 or fewer bathrooms. There is no segregation in the plumbing upstairs vs downstairs so there was no place to split off and use 2 tankless systems in our house. We opted...
  6. cyclopentadiene

Lye aging for cherry

I am quite impressed you have the potassium dichromate from that long ago. Eastman Kodak split off the chemical business in the 1980s. Kodak disappeared and Eastman still exists as one of the largest global chemical producers but concentrates on polymers.
  7. cyclopentadiene

2024 February Contest, Illusions in Wood

Various charcuterie boards just for fun. 1st purple heart, cherry and walnut. 2nd the trio walnut, maple, cherry and the Qbert pattern the trio. The open cube is really easy to make. The Qbert pattern is challenging as any slight imperfection in the angles or lengths as well as glue up is...
  8. cyclopentadiene

LED Shop lights

Unfortunately they last the same amount of time for me as traditional. My shop ceilings are 8’ and I tend to hit the lights with lumber and break them far before they meet their lifetime. However LED are much brighter until I do bust them.
  9. cyclopentadiene

New project. They said it couldn’t be done!

Corian turns well on the lathe as well.
  10. cyclopentadiene

Getting rid of old finishes

In the 60’s and 70’s dilution was the solution to pollution. However today it is best with oil based finishes to take to an annual county waste pickup. The lines are horrible but these are then taken to a hazardous waste incineration facility. Water based can just be opened, allowed to dry...
  11. cyclopentadiene

Question about depth setting Festool 55 REQ

My saw is older and metric. Perhaps they changed the scale to imperial but did not adjust or set the saw positioning from metric to imperial?
  12. cyclopentadiene

(Where can I find) Kitchen doors / Drawer fronts

I believe Hardwood store in Gibsonville has doors and drawer fronts available
  13. cyclopentadiene

Looking to start a local wood turning group

I am a member of PTWA and served as VP of the group several years ago. Meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Leonard Recreation Center in Greensboro. There are about 100 members, membership dues are minimal and many local and regional turners provide demonstrations. The club is well...
  14. cyclopentadiene

Woodworking and Pesticides

I agree with you pesticides used decades ago are bad players, especially the chlorinated ones as they do not break down in the environment. The science was not available in the 1950s and 60s to know the impact. These materials are nonexistent in terms of usage on a global scale for the past...
  15. cyclopentadiene

Woodworking and Pesticides

Modern day pesticides are relatively safe and Sevin dust used over 30 years ago would have degraded long ago. Exposure to fine particles of wood dust while sanding is far more harmful than any modern day pesticide. The LD 50 for Carbaryl is very high 250 - 850 mg/Kg. Is is likely a...
  16. cyclopentadiene

Jet-JWBS-18 bandsaw-Is $1100 to much?

I have thought about the Kreg, and Magfence just have not made the plunge. I built a wooden fence that fits over the Jet one for resawing. That seems to work. The most useful accessory is the Bow products item for resawing.
  17. cyclopentadiene

Jet-JWBS-18 bandsaw-Is $1100 to much?

check the guides. Those look different than my Jet 18 had originally. Mine had bearing guides and they were terrible. I replaced with Carter which are excellent. Also the Jet fence is not much to write home about. I have not found a good replacement.
  18. cyclopentadiene

Rockler EZ Pocket Door System Pocket Door Slide

I used the slides from Rockler on a television stand. These work perfectly. I did a single track so the two doors can butt together in the center of the cabinet or be at the opposite ends. Alternatively, you can use 2 tracks and the doors slide behind one another. I highly recommend the...
  19. cyclopentadiene

How many amp panel for shop?

I only had 50 amps remaining from the 200 amp house main. Also my shop is about 200 ft from the house and the larger the wire the higher the cost. The wire to carry 50 amps was about $500 and 75 amps which was all left in the main was $700. Now that cost is probably double. I...
  20. cyclopentadiene

Router collet extention

My number 1 rule. If it is looks dangerous, do not try it!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS