1. donald.woolley

Shop Dog

Mine always need special accommodations:
  2. donald.woolley

Favorite handplane

To use, Ohio Tool/Auburns. To entertain myself with oddities, Shelton
  3. donald.woolley

Help with hand Plane identification

There is a good chance that the unmarked 9 1/2 clone is a Great Neck G1. The later ones that they put out used a diecast zinc alloy for the cap, but I think that the earlier ones were cast iron. There is a picture of my Great Neck #16 clone at https://www.pinterest.com/pin/139752394658584215/...
  4. donald.woolley

As I look closer at the photo, I can see a depression on the cap that would have had a sticker that said Master Mechanic, or Ace, or Buck Brothers, or Tru-Test or ...(it is a long list).
  5. donald.woolley

Actually, now that I think about it, it should say either Corsair or Great Neck (or both) on the lever cap. Even if the lever cap is blank, the tote and knob still scream Great Neck. The difference is that they would have made it for some other company to brand as their own.
  6. donald.woolley

The one in back is a Corsair jack by Great Neck Tools back in the 60s or early 70s. I think that it is the model C-5, but I won't swear to that.
  7. donald.woolley

Do you use hand planes?

Which ones? Jacks, joiners, blocks, plows, and smoothers in metallic, transitional and wood, plus lots of wooden molding and joinery planes. How often? Pretty much every time I am in the shop. For what usage? For whatever I can think of--this week was jointing, rabbets and dados. In...
  8. donald.woolley

First pistol grip

It would appear that stunningly-reliable-no-matter-what-you-feed-it is a common thread among your firearms preferences. Are you starting with a rough cut blank or did you cut that yourself? Having done it myself, I would go with the rough cut blank. (Actually, having done it myself, I would go...
  9. donald.woolley

First pistol grip

Nice! Hi-Points are stunningly dependable, but they generally leave something to be desired aesthetically. It is good to know that something can be done about that.
  10. donald.woolley

Plane lubrication

I used to go with Johnson's Wax (#4) but Beeswax blocks (#1a?) from the Farmer's Market have proven to be more convenient for planes, saws and screws. Plus, it's what Roy uses
  11. donald.woolley

Essential workbench accessories?

I have two rows, spaced 7 inches apart. The front row is spaced at 3" and the back at 9". The back row is mostly used for holdfasts and one end of an oak planing stop that spans the two rows.
  12. donald.woolley

Essential workbench accessories?

I find that I use a doe's foot quite often. Mine is made of 1/4 inch white oak with sandpaper glued on the bottom. Mine is 3 inches wide, but I would probably make it wider now so that it is in holdfast reach of more dog holes.
  13. donald.woolley

Let's see it.....your bench

Richo in New Bern-- Have you been happy with the Chad Stanton portable workbench? I added a small patio on one side of my house at the end of summer so I would have a place to use my shaving horse, hewing bench and riving brake. I have since thought that a little bench like this would also be...
  14. donald.woolley

Let's see it.....your bench

Yellow Pine, 3 inches thick, with an English style apron and a crochet on the front. I have an assortment of fixtures for workholding, including the Moxon under the end vise. My shop is extremely small, so it is only about 6 1/2 feet long. The green trunk is filled with the backup,backup planes...
  15. donald.woolley

Joinery Goals

This is what I get for not looking online over the weekend. I only have the lids complete on the small storage chests so far, but I will try to take pictures of two other chests that I made in the same style when I go home. What I do have with me are (bad) pictures of a small nail chest...
  16. 0716151750

17. 10999256_10205171791951206_5971928750611268746_n

10999256_10205171791951206_5971928750611268746_n

18. 0630151855

19. 0716151749

20. donald.woolley

Joinery Goals

And thank you, everyone, for responding.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors