Search results

1. Tom Dunn

Chisels for inletting a lock plate

I am trying my hand at building a Longrifle, a flintlock. This is the lock plate that needs to be inlet into the side panel of the stock, which is ash. My tools and my experience are limited to say the least. In as much as I will likely need to purchase suitable chisels, I'm looking for advice...
  2. Tom Dunn

Reply format

This morning I made a post in the "Wood" forum, my first post in quite awhile. The replys are in a 4-character wide vertical strip with an empty area to the left. Like this right here for exam ple. I have no idea why this is happening. I can read the replys, but not easily. Pictures are in a...
  3. Tom Dunn

Wood unique to the South suggestions?

Got a surprise package in the mail yesterday, courtesy of a friend in Arizona. Inside was three pieces of Desert Ironwood. Amazing stuff! Heavy as heck(won't float), hard as a rock, and color and figure that, to me, is nothing short of impressive. Flip side: I've been reading up...
  4. Tom Dunn

Small used tool score....

Got 4 Buck Brothers chisels and an 8" drawknife in the mail today, all used, via ebay. The chisels need a little love and attention to the edge,which I expected, the drawknife needs a fair bit of cleaning up besides the edge needing attention, but it seems sound overall. Truth be told, I know...
  5. Tom Dunn

How would these chisels best be used?

These are some simple chisels, sold mostly for use inletting parts during the building of a muzzleloader. The picture is a 1/4 inch straight, there are others, obviously. Low end pricing to say the least,about $12, but the supply company that sells them has a stellar reputation, and the chisels...
  6. Tom Dunn

Buy another stone or try "Scary Sharp"?

I have one DMT 6 inch bench stone, Fine grit(red).<br><br>I was trying to sharpen my CRKT Ignitor the other evening and the fine stone just didn't seem to be getting me anywhere.<br><br>I'm wondering if I should buy a medium DMT benchstone, or if I would be better advised to invest in the...
  7. Tom Dunn

Clever storage

I have no idea where this is, nor do I have any idea who made it, but it impressed me enough that I thought I'd share it here.
  8. Tom Dunn

Hand tool to cut this relieve slot?

This is an old Norlund hand ax I am fitting a new handle to. Small one, just 14 oz. Now, I have already tried to relieve the slot by clamping it in a vise and using a hacksaw(sorry, it's all I had!) and that ended up requiring me to cut about 3/4 off the top of the handle, I cut it off right...
  9. Tom Dunn

Japanese knife and tool show....

This is just a a sample of this guys whole photo album, and even it blew me away! Now I want Nata, I didn't even know they existed. The $2000 sharpening stone I'll have to think on...:rolleyes...
  10. Tom Dunn

Posting links

I"m not in the habit of posting links to other sites on another site without checking the forum rules. However, I can't seem to find them? At any rate, I have a link to great photos from a tool and knife show in Japan, and wanted to check if it is OK to pass along? THANKS!
  11. Tom Dunn

New card scraper

I ordered my first card scraper, a Bahco, the other day, it arrived today. I watched one youtube video on preparing the card for use by establishing a "hook", and it showed the various tools. I'm assuming that this scraper, as it arrived, must be prepped before use, yes/no? This is all new to...
  12. Tom Dunn

Sander sat too long I guess......

Took out the Porter Cable 333 sander yesterday to start sanding the top of a pine desk(Thrift Store find). Been awhile since I refinished anything besides gunstocks, and was looking forward to getting on with this project. Desk was outside, beautiful day and all. Didn't get too far along when...
  13. Tom Dunn

Rough cut pine near New Bern/Vanceboro?

I thought there was a section here specifically for "wood for sale" but I could't find it? At any rate, the title pretty much says it, I need some RS pine boards to build a chicken tractor and for patching stuff up around the shanty. If you could point me in the right direction, I sure would...
  14. Tom Dunn

Recommend a stronger stripper?

I am having considerable trouble removing the finish from a gunstock. I have tried an automotive paint remover, and a spray-on stripper as well(Stryp-Ezz maybe, not sure) but they aren't getting it done. The rifle is pre-1968, and I don't know if it's a varnish or a poly or what all it is, but...
  15. Tom Dunn

Change location

I do not seem to be able to edit my location on my info page. Name, occupation and such have the little edit "pencil", but the city does not/ I am trying to change "Duncan" to "Vanceboro". THANKS!
  16. Tom Dunn

Tru Oil

I have been using Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil on gunstocks for many years. Might be beter stuff now, but I'm a mite stubborn, so I stick with it. This little rifle, an Ithaca Model 49 Saddlegun, was purchased by my best friend back in 1969. It is the first gun I ever hunted with. Back then my Dad...
  17. Tom Dunn

Pawn Store Bandsaw

I now very little about bandsaws, but I do know I would like one for a project I'm planning. I don't need anything too high-end, really just looking for a "starter" saw, so to speak. I came across a 14" bandsaw in a local Pawn Shop for $150, but I could get it for less I'm sure. Its a Buffalo BP...
  18. Tom Dunn

ID the wood in this stock?

This rifle is pre 1968, when most of the gunstocks were made of walnut. I suppose this one might be as well, but I'd be interested in ya'll opinions!
  19. Tom Dunn

My friends archway

Earlier I posted pictures of the staircase in my friends old house. The other striking feature of the living room/dining room is the arch that separates them. This is the archway looking from the staircase down the room: This is the top of the arch. Note the Dutchmen, and the dovetailing on...
  20. Tom Dunn

A few pics from friends old house...

Friend of mine lives in a small house, built, supposedly, in the 1920's. Small or not, the cabinetmaker who built it as his home did some amazing, to me at least, things. My friend is disabled and will not be in the house much longer, it will then be sold. I took a bunch of pics while...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS