Search results

1. Bryan S

A more durable finish

We met a fellow at a craft fair in downtown Burlington a few weeks back making cutting boards. He used colored and tinted epoxy in his processes and the misses had him make us this board with clear. It was her idea to join these 2 pieces and loved the result. I thought she was going to use...
  2. Bryan S

Be Aware of Your Pets on the Beach

This past winter we found and rescued a small Poodle mix named Mr Wiggles and Monday last week he went out on the beach with us for the first time. The second day we took him out with us we took his tennis ball to keep him occupied and he did have a big ole time chasing that ball. We did not...
  3. Bryan S

What I Have Been up to this Summer

After years of seeing the band joist on my shop deteriorate from water damage it was past time to repair the damage. I did not take before pics, but this is a older pic and you can see how the joist was set on cinder block. For years they got wet from the rain splashing until I had gutters put...
  4. Bryan S

I'm in a Movie PawPaw

That's what my grandson said when he found out he was one of those selected. This past summer the office of patient experience at Cone Health put out a request to interview children and grandchildren of the employees about what we do. Now, being a proud paw paw, of course I had to submit some...
  5. Bryan S

Hello, Meet Maci

This is Maci and the latest addition to the family. We adopted her from the Lucky Lab Rescue at an adoption fair in Charlotte yesterday. The misses has been wanting another for some time and found out about her and the fair late Friday. I could not believe that Kathy was willing to drive to...
  6. Bryan S

Good to See you This Morning Jerry

Was walking into work this morning and around the corner came Jerry Craig (JCraig) heading out the door to make a delivery. Now, I can be a bit slow, more so at 6:30 in the AM and thought, hey, that guy looks familiar. Well maybe it is because I know him. It is always good to see a fellow...
  7. Bryan S

Hiiii Karate Someone Earned his First Belt Today.

:eusa_danc My grandson started Martial Arts, actually it is Akido, this past fall and today was the belt ceremony where he earned his yellow belt. He seams to really enjoy this. Showing off for the camera. Hiiee-Yaah Receiving his belt from his instructor. Off with the old belt, on with...
  8. Bryan S

Thoughts Needed for the Misses

The misses has been fighting neck and arm pain for some time now. Even though it took some time to get her to do something about it, she had surgery to repair the problems. The surgeon said everything went well and she would start feeling better. She was very sore when I left and time will tell...
  9. Bryan S

Be On the Lookout When You are Outside.

The baby Copperheads are out. I had one about 5 inches long crawl across the sidewalk as I was coming back in from the car. It was heading towards our Koi pond and if he had not been moving I may not have seen him. I had to have past very close to it when I walked to the car. No pics but I got him.
  10. Bryan S

Mantle Finally Finished

This project started 5 months and today finally came to its conclusion. The end result is a very happy misses along with a very relieved me. It started with the misses wanting a solid beam mantle like no one else has for her new rock wall fireplace. I think we succeeded. The mantle is cherry...
  11. Bryan S

Said Goodbye to a Special Buddy

It was a sad day as we laid our yellow Lab Murphy to rest yesterday afternoon. We had seen his condition going down and at 14 years 6 months, age had caught up with him. He had reached the point that it was a struggle to stand up and yesterday we had to help him up. The strength in his legs...
  12. Bryan S

Raffle Numbers

I did not receive raffle ticket numbers. I had an old email address still in my settings so, it is very possible that it is my fault. My email address has been corrected. Thanks.
  13. Bryan S

Not too Much, Not too Little, I Think Just Right

Not too far back I got some good how to feed back on shaping the beam for our new mantle. Thanks to the advice here and Brian Capallie, of Woodcraft's suggestion I put the 5" Flexcut draw knife to work. This was the first time I have used a draw knife and definitely the first time I used a...
  14. Bryan S

Transcript of the Chat Featuring Steve Coles?

I remember Steve Honeycutt setting up a chat that featured Steve Coles. Is there a transcript of that chat somewhere? Barbara, b4man, has made a request of me and if there is a transcript I should be able to get some info that I could work with. I have been dragging my feet a little and I need...
  15. Bryan S

Working with Natural Edge for First Time. Advice for needed tools and Technique

As I mentioned in a previous post them beam we acquired is to be a mantle and has the natural edge, even has a bit of bark still on it. Now, I have never worked with a natural edge and I am not sure the best way to go about this. What we want to do is get the sapwood off down to the heartwood...
  16. Bryan S

Slabs and Beams and More Oh My

A few weeks ago we (the misses) decided to revamp the living room. One of the decor changes was to use a solid beam for the mantle. We, the misses, wanted a cherry beam and stumbled onto Reclaimed lumber and beams in Lenior. After a few conversations and emails with Ronny Munday and Dale Ballew...
  17. Bryan S

The Things Little Boys can get Into

We took our grandson, Wesley to the Elon, Western Carolina basketball game Sat. night and you will never guess where he ended up. I guess you could say some boys have all the luck. Barbara, do ya think he had a big ole time? View image in gallery I do not know anything about these 2 young...
  18. Bryan S

What Goodies Did Ya Get

I know Santa dropped off some new toys last night so lets hear it, what did ya get? Nothing here, we get each other so much during the year we decided not to get each other presents this go round. I am having some fun telling everyone what I got the misses. She found worms under the tree, meal...
  19. Bryan S

The ENTERPRISE, Her Flag Still Flies It Was a Good Day

As I drove to the area of piers I looked out my drivers window at the row of ships lined up on the piers, and there she was, Enterprise, 65. At pier 12 she was the first one in line, she belonged at the front of the line,for she was The Enterprise. From nearly a quarter of a mile away she filled...
  20. Bryan S

Your Thoughts Needed for the Misses

Saturday night Kathy was involved in a car wreck. She was traveling home on University Drive in Elon when she was hit from behind. Now, this is a family site and I know I have to hold back personal opinions, but how in the world do you hit someone from behind when they are going 55 down the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS