1. R

Free Purple Heart scraps

Scott picked up yesterday. Enjoy!
  2. R

Free Purple Heart scraps

PM sent
  3. R

Free Purple Heart scraps

Might be good for accents, inlays, coasters, etc. Free what you see in pic. Located near Lake Wheeler in Raleigh. First come, first served, but if several members are interested, the first one will hopefully spread the love to others. I just don't have time to meet alot of people and...
  4. R

IPE and Purple Heart Deck

Pretty light....I'd say no more than 30 lbs. Another plus I didn't have to build up the island to hold a heavy piece of granite.
  5. R

I'm neither...more like OCD. And my wife helped do the pour. I put down plastic, followed by painters paper on top of the counter top. A couple of drips made it to the hardwood but I was ready with alcohol which cleaned it right up before curing. The great thing about this epoxy is the long...
  6. R

It is self leveling, using a flame torch or heat gun to remove any air bubbles. There are various techniques depending in the finish you want. You can sand afterwards and apply a top coat finish to make it more matte if thats preferred. Or you can leave as is. What you see in my pic is the...
  7. R

The new countertop for our outdoor island. Substrate is 3/4 marine birch...I routed a rollover edge and using Stone Coat epoxy to do a custom pour with greys, pearl, diamond, and blue. I think it turned out pretty nice.
  8. R

Thanks!
  9. R

Gorgeous!!
  10. R

Shout out to Fred...took my IPE to his shop and in short order he put together 4 perfect corners. Right tools and know how go a long way. Made it look easy. Thanks again and look forward to that cutting board :)
  11. R

I'll send you a PM...Thsnks!
  12. R

That's extremely generous of you to offer. The substrate is just durock covering 2x4 treated framing, so the tolerances are not critical. In fact, a perfect 45 might still show gaping because the durock is probably not a perfect 90 corner underneath. Im thinking as long as it's close I can...
  13. R

I'm not a wood worker so I have neither. Table saw with a rip blade is it for me.
  14. R

Question.... I framed out an outdoor kitchen island...just a 7'x2' rectangle. Im going to stone it but miter cuts on ledger stone for all the outside corners is proving problematic. Indont have a big enough wet saw to cut 24" panels and trying to hand cut with no fence causes chip outs...
  15. R

Oiled the PH and IPE...really brings out the browns and golds. Building kitchen now so should be able to let some of my scrap PH and IPE go for you wood turners.
  16. R

Yes, a 4x4 IPE post is like picking up a concrete girder. It surely doesn't float in water. It also doesn't twist and deform as bad as Pine, and gives a rock solid anchor for tensioned cables.
  17. R

With recent lumber prices, PH is actually more economical. I bought it for $2.20 a LF for 1x6". When you consider the 30 year lifespan compared to treated pine, it really is less money in the long run. Trex is something like $4 to $6 a LF, so it's even less than composite, and I believe much...
  18. R

Quick update. The heat has been brutal and I'm only able to put in about 6 hours in the morning before I'm spent. Attached are a few pics showing the overall deck (Purple Heart), the IPE posts, the aluminum intermediate posts and top rail support, and finally today, my first stainless cable...
  19. R

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated. To be clear, I haven't snapped any screws "yet", just the pre-drill bits that came with the CAMO hidden deck screw system. Don't know what material those bits were. Of course I went through about 5000 screws (pre-drills), so I'm sure it was just...
  20. R

Finishing up a 1300 sq ft deck build with PH decking and IPE posts and top rails. Went through a half dozen drill bits on the PH, so I'm now nervous on drilling my IPE posts for cable railing. I have a couple of choices. I can go with a through cable system which runs the 1/8 SS cable through...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS