Search results

1. C

Porter Cable Dovetail Jigs - 4210 and 4212

I have for sale two complete Porter Cable dovetail jigs 4210 - Half blind dovetails, perfect for drawer fronts. $65 4212 - Same as above with additional parts to make through dovetails. $100 Both are like new, complete with everything that came in the box: base unit, template(s), dovetail...
  2. C

Looking for a user Back Saw

More specifically I’m looking for a crosscut, not dovetail or rip saw. The big handsaws i have are too big and not precise enough. I have looked at the veritas and will definitely follow up here before I buy a new one.
  3. C

Looking for a user Back Saw

Does anyone have a good old crosscut back saw that they’d part with? I have no problem paying a bit more if it’s sharp and in usable condition. As an alternative- any suggestions for a decent new one? I’m kind of bowled over by the bad axe and grammercy prices, any suggestions for something...
  4. C

Craftsman vise

Anyone able to PE this to someplace close to upstate SC?
  5. C

Sharpening stones for planes and chisels

Thanks everyone for some very useful information. My takeaways from this discussion - -I did get a coarser 325 diamond stone, basically to set up my tools to consistent bevel angles. -I’ll probably avoid the grinder for now. I’m not really into rehabbing tools, just try not to bring home any...
  6. C

Sharpening stones for planes and chisels

Most of my plane and chisel edges are in pretty good shape. The quality runs from Aldi specials to Hock replacement blades. I’m pretty much a “less is more” type and have been touching up the edges as needed and that works pretty well. I currently use two DMT diamond stones, a D8F (600) and a...
  7. C

Best files for saw sharpening?

Thinking that its time l made an effort to learn to sharpen my saws. I got some tips and advice from my sharpening guy and want to start with this one. It’s more brute force than precision so I figure it would be a bit more forgiving as I learn. I would rather not just get HF or other cheap...
  8. C

How about some dovetail help?

Got back at it and cut some more dovetails. Actually the tails were pretty good, had most of my issues with the pins. I found my biggest issues were with the scribe lines and the bottom of the cuts, as several suggested. A few pictures of my tools/setup. Needed a real saw, the dovetail saw was...
  9. C

Hand saw restoration and sharpening workshop

Interesting yes, depends on distance from me. Where would this workshop be done?
  10. C

Thank you all for the encouragement and lots of good advice. These are exactly the kinds of comments that I was looking for. I’ll report back when I get some shop time and implement these fixes on the other side of my step stool.
  11. C

Practicing on some scraps, looking to make a small step stool for the shop. Obviously this isn’t the perfect material to learn dovetails but it’s what I have. So the internet is full of basic instructions but I can’t find any “troubleshooting“ advice, as in “if that‘s wrong, try this”...
  12. C

Help with sharpening a drawknife

Wow. That’s an amazing amount of detail and something I think I can set up. Thank you. A few of questions- — what’s a good bevel angle? Do you suggest a primary and secondary like that of a hand plane blade? — In my mind I feel like the blade will follow the wheel in its current shape, as in a...
  13. C

Help with sharpening a drawknife

I got a good deal on this from a local guy on Craigslist but it needs some work. My sharpening experience has evolved as far as “get a good edge/bevel and then frequently touch that up with high grit and honing before the tool gets too dull”. Grinding to straighten a wavy edge before...
  14. C

Long overdue art frame

Very nice. How did you cut the miters? Chop saw? Table saw? hand plane and shooting board? In any case the turned out very well.
  15. C

Chair Scoop Using Table Saw

I’ve seen that video and a couple others with the same concept. Kinda left me scratching my head. I appreciate your write up and comments/additions. How did the seat turn out? I’d love to see some pictures of that. thanks
  16. C

Drawer Unit for Garage Shelves

Very nice job. I especially like that it’s made with BORG material. Could you post a few more pictures? I’d like to see how the drawers and the case are made. I really need something like that to organize all the piles in my shop. Thanks very much.
  17. C

Dovetail saw

Looks to me like a very nice effort. My rule of thumb is that I make most of my mistakes and fixes until the third attempt, i.e. The third and subsequent attempts usually have very few issues. And- another rule of thumb suggestion: Don’t point out your errors and fixes, chances are that you...
  18. C

Scorp Inshave Travisher and Froe

Thanks Bill. I’ve sent you a private message if you’d like to get into specifics.
  19. C

Scorp Inshave Travisher and Froe

No, not a law firm. I’ve caught the stick chair virus and I’m looking for those tools. Please let me know if you have any of those that you might consider selling, PM is fine. I live in upstate SC and would be willing to travel a reasonable distance to make a cash purchase if appropriate...
  20. C

Bandsaw advice, please

Thanks for all the useful input. Some clarifications - oops, not intended for tapers- that was a typo, I mean to cut octagons. And yes the setup isn’t real tight, I tried to make a quick mockup for a photo to show my intent. I described the blade as “waivering”, probably the wrong word- the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors