Search results

1. W

Splitting whoa's

Ok so my neighbor cut down a hickory tree a few weeks ago and asked me if I wanted it. he has them in about 6 foot length's and about 6 to 8 inches around. it may not be the best logs. however I took my wedge and attempted to start to split the wood and it has not gone very well. I wondered if...
  2. W

Sanding Trick

Ok this might be posted in the wrong spot but I wanted to share this. I had done a scroll saw project and it had some tight spaces that needed to be sanded. I was irritated after breaking several Popsicle sticks with sand paper glued to them and then my hand cramped up and I thought there has to...
  3. W

Mortise and Tenon Joints

I have been doing most my wood working with mechanical fasteners or biscuits. How ever I would like to expand my wood working skills to use more mortise and tenon joints. My question on this is there a mathematical rule of say 50% less the thickness of the board is what the mortise and tenon...
  4. W

Thickness Planer Questions - slight digs at beginning and end of wood

I have had a thickness planer for years it is a Delata 12" planer. My problem I have been trying to figure out how to fix is when I put the wood in it cuts down a little more on the entry and exit parts of the wood which causes me to take a cabinet scraper to the wood to smooth that transition...
  5. W

Suggestions on refinishing veneered furniture

I was able to pick up some pottery barn style, desk, dresser with mirror, chair and night table for my daughters bedroom for free. She has picked out the paint she wants them to be since they are in need of some repair. I wondered though they are an engineered glossy veneer that is about 1/32"...
  6. W

Shops that sell specialty wood

I have lived in NC for about 2 years now. With all the priorities completed I am now able to finally settle down and start doing more wood working. I moved to NC from Utah. In Utah there was a store called McBeath's that sold specialty wood such as various Burls, Pods, Rough Sawn lumber and some...
  7. W

Finally Joined

Well joining this site was not as simple as I thought most likely due to a browser font issue. Anyways I am relatively new to Raleigh NC moved to CH end of 2010 and moved to Raleigh when I bought a home there January of this year. I am fairly good at wood working not a novice that is for sure...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS