Search results

1. MarkDarby

Dust Collection -- Tin or PVC

Hi all, I'm wanting to make my work in the shop a little more productive. For years, I've had a good-sized Delta dust collector -- but have dragged the hose from machine to machine. I also had a fold-away shop. My shop is in my double-car garage and I've arranged tools and work benches so...
  2. MarkDarby

Rustic Mirror with Shelf

Good Morning, My daughter wanted a rustic looking mirror -- its has been a while since I finished this but thought I'd share. We were both happy with the way it turned out.
  3. MarkDarby

CNC Router Forum

Hi all, I'm seriously considering a CNC router. I'm finding that the vast amount of info on Google and YouTube is overwhelming. Are there enough people interested to justify having a separate forum dedicated to CNC? I'd love to be the first to join (and learn). Thoughts?
  4. MarkDarby

Italian Ceramic Tile Mosaic in a Floating Frame - out of Black Walnut and Maple

This is a ceramic tile mosaic mounted on a cement back-board and then I mounted that board in a floating frame. I made the frame out of black walnut with maple splines. Within each miter, I have #8 dominos. Lastly, I mounted it into the wall studs with two 3 1/2" lag bolts using a french cleat.
  5. MarkDarby

Fireplace mantle project complete!

Hi all, This took much longer than planned -- just like all my other projects. But, am quite happy with the way it turned out. This is black walnut with Watco Danish Oil, shellac, and four layers of varnish. It is 9'4" long and 1' deep. It has four storage areas and outlets installed in...
  6. MarkDarby

Warning on calling Rikon Tech Support -

I recently called Rikon to get some parts for my bandsaw. I called their toll-free number -- (877) 884-5167. A recording told me that I had qualified for a $100 coupon book. I thought this was pretty cool. The nice lady took my info and had to read a legal statement to me (faster than I could...
  7. MarkDarby

Bandsaw goes click-click, click-click --- and dies

Hi all, I have a Rikon 10-345 bandsaw that I bought second had some time ago. I tried (miserable failure) to resaw some maple over Christmas. The board was about 6" -- which I didn't think would be a problem for an 18" bandsaw. So... I watched a few YouTube videos and replaced the tires...
  8. MarkDarby

Fireplace Mantle Finished - Just in time for stockings

Well, my one month project that only took six months is finally done. Thanks to my Mrs. for being so patient. I'm pleased with the way it finally turned out. And I can say it's close to the original Sketchup plan -- provided I look at the end result through very dirty glasses. The center...
  9. MarkDarby

Needing Help Resawing a Board

Hi all, I'm making a magnetic knife holder for my son for Christmas. So far, I've failed miserably in trying to resaw a 10" board. Obviously, I still have that to learn. I'm down to my last piece of Maple -- and really don't want to buy more for this project. Is anyone in the Cary area...
  10. MarkDarby

Needing some advice and/or help - Inching forward on the fireplace mantle

All, I am making slow progress on the mantle. the mantle is going to be a box -- should be simple. Length is 9'4", height is 6", and depth is 11". The front and rear pieces will join to the side pieces with half-blind dovetails. This work is complete. The issue is the front piece has...
  11. MarkDarby

Porter Cable 557 Biscuit Joiner - Sold

Several years old -- used quite a bit. Still works like new. New cost is between $250 and $290'ish. Asking $80 Available to see / try out in Cary.
  12. MarkDarby

Rikon 34-260 Mortiser - Sold

Several years old - but rarely used. Bits include 1/8", 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8". New cost is between $540 and $600. Asking $325. Available to see / try out in Cary.
  13. MarkDarby

Outdoor lawn ornaments

Hi all, want to make a grinch for the front yard. What would you all recommend? Marine-grade plywood? Some kind of mdf? Thanks! Mark
  14. MarkDarby

Dark streaks in black walnut after planing

hi all. I’m planing some black walnut. This is the first time I’ve worked with this wood. Im getting black streaks near the small knot holes. I have used a card scraper and 80 grit sandpaper to ‘erase’ these-without success. Any ideas on how to get rid of these - or prevent them in the first...
  15. MarkDarby

Rockler coming to Cary

Happy Friday! I received an email today from Rockler soliciting new hires to staff their new store in Cary. Not sure where in Cary -- or when they plan to open. Mark
  16. MarkDarby

Planning for Expansion due to Humidity Change

Hi all. I'm a mid-level woodworker who is building a project that is larger than any I've ever done. I'm also in the middle of over-thinking it. I could use your advice. I'm building a fireplace mantle (basically a box) out of black walnut (I know this will be expensive - but my wife loves...
  17. MarkDarby

Woodworker needed for Project -- Custom Vanity and Counter

Hi all, I have a neighbor who is moving into a new home and would like some custom work done. I lack the time now and am looking to this group to see if any of you would be interested. If you are interested, just send me a note and I'll pass your info along to my friend. Thanks, Mark
  18. MarkDarby

Tips Wanted - Dressing a 9' board

I’m starting a project to build a mantle for our fireplace. We just stripped the brick off and laid field stone. The wood choices are down to walnut, mahogany or cherry. I'm leaning toward cherry. The mantle will be simple – basically a box that will be 9’ long, 11” deep and 5” tall. I'm going...
  19. MarkDarby

Light Scratches Repair - How to

Hi, I have an old set of shelves that were my wife's grandfathers. Overall, they're in great shape. One, however, has light scratches on the surface. None appear to go down to the wood. I "think" the finish is lacquer -- but am not sure. I plan to take a towel with lacquer thinner on it...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS