Search results

1. dwminnich

Cremation box

The only time I’ve needed to make one, the guy at the funeral home showed me the cardboard box that they would be giving us with the ashes and I designed around that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. dwminnich

Resaw and milling services in WNC?

Yep, these’ll have to ride inside the van. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. dwminnich

What’s your impression of them? I’ve never been able to get them to answer their phone so I’ve largely written them off. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. dwminnich

I’m just starting a van conversion project and am looking for some 3/8” x 3” stock in 14’ lengths (for a ceiling treatment). My first thought was the Hardwood Store, but they don’t have resaw capability. I am in Hendersonville. Are you aware of any place in the western half of the state or...
  5. dwminnich

New Whiskey Cabinet

Very nice, but far too small. [emoji6] Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. dwminnich

Acrylic Sheets

If you can’t find anything local, Golden Rule Plastics in Haw River would likely have it. It’s a small place and you can get someone on the phone who can tell you for sure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. dwminnich

Exposing Ply to the Elements

The DIY teardrop trailer community has a lot of experience using plywood in ways you wouldn’t normally use it. Here’s a link http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=72914 to an approach to finishing it they call “the mix” that has worked well and has a lot of experience behind it. I haven’t tried it...
  8. dwminnich

A pair of dulcimers

They look fantastic! I love QS sycamore but have not thought about it as a tone wood. How different do the two sound? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. dwminnich

Working Sycamore

I’ve used sycamore for both boxes and turnings and have never found it significantly different to work than, say, cherry or walnut. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. dwminnich

Paneling and wood beam expert needed!

Unfortunately, I can’t help with your specific query, but welcome to the area. I’m in Hendersonville. If you’ve got other questions relative to the Asheville area feel free to reach out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. dwminnich

3+" thick T&G?

Thanks, your reply made me realize I left out a couple of crucial pieces of information. First, those 6 x 18 rafters are spaced 16 feet apart (that’s not a typo). So, I suppose that maybe it’s not unreasonable to expect that they might have used really thick car decking up there. I did find some...
  12. dwminnich

3+" thick T&G?

I'm going to be working on a project at church hanging a couple of 100 lb. TVs in the sanctuary. The building is an A-frame type structure built in the mid 1970s with large glue-lam rafters (probably 6"x18"s) as the visible support element. The visible ceiling surface is made of tongue and...
  13. dwminnich

Input required

As Scott mentioned, Feeding the Carolinas is an organization comprised of food banks in NC and SC. This page from their website lists the member food banks: Feeding the Carolinas » Locations. There are six in NC, and I have personal knowledge of two of those. When we lived in Hillsborough...
  14. dwminnich

Rare-earth magnet fragility

If I’m understanding your pictures correctly, you’ve got those magnets inset into a piece of quarter inch thick plywood, right? The strength of a magnetic field drops off quickly with distance, so you really want the magnets to be in direct contact with the metal rather than having the wood...
  15. dwminnich

Raised Garden Bed

Also, make sure to line the inside with plastic or finish the inside of the sides with something to prevent the absorbtion of water. Otherwise when she waters, the uneven rates at which the inside and outside dry out will cause warping of the sides. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. dwminnich

Christmas presents i made for my work squad mates

Very nice! Where did you find the clip hardware? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. dwminnich

Storing Plywood

I think that’s driven more by the space you have available than by a right or wrong way. I have always stored mine vertically with no issues. Probably the most important thing though is to get it up off of any concrete, to prevent wicking moisture from a slab up into the plywood. Sent from my...
  18. dwminnich

Biesemeyer or Vega Fence for Table Saw

Like Fred, I love mine. I’ve never noticed any flexing, although when cutting something thin (say, 1/8”ply), the fact that the outfeed end isn’t attached means you have to be careful you don’t push the piece under the fence. That’s the only time I’ve felt a need to clamp that end to the table...
  19. dwminnich

Jewelry box

That's an inlay of lacewood. It's actually about 1/4" thick, since I needed to inlay it while the box was still square and I didn't want to worry too much about where the final curved profile would fall. The top of that keystone piece was visible so I added a thin veneer of cherry to the bottom...
  20. dwminnich

Jewelry box

Thanks, Henry. It was a fun project, in spite of the time crunch. With each of these gift boxes I've tried both to tailor the box to the niece and to use some new (to me) techniques. When the setback happened, I fell back on techniques I already knew well, which is what I meant by "simplified"...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS