Search results

1. Michael Mathews

Crotch Ash Bowl

I turned this small Crotch Ash Bowl yesterday. About 10" across and 2" high. Finished with Walnut Oil
  2. Michael Mathews

Making Wood Vertical Blinds

I've had my shop windows covered with sheets since it was built to keep prying eyes out. I decided after seeing a video on YT that it was time to do something about this. Using the basic design from John Heisz - I build it channel, I followed his idea except cut the pieces out on my ShopBot CNC...
  3. Michael Mathews

A little something for my stepmom's birthday

My stepmom loves everything I do. I picked up these basswood cookies a couple months ago and thought I would whip something out for her. The overall height is just under 3 in. Took me about 20 minutes to finish this from a blank slate. I found an image online and just did a quick pencil sketch...
  4. Michael Mathews

What kind of wood is this?

A coworker brought this piece of wood to work to show me. He's got access to a barn full of old hand hewn beams like this. He's cut this one in half to use add a shelf.
  5. Michael Mathews

Password failed several days in a row!

So for last several days that I've logged into the site I've had to setup a new password each day! This is getting old...fast! Did someone change a setting that requires a new password daily? Please fix it otherwise I won't be logging in very often. It's somewhat of a PIA to reset my password on...
  6. Michael Mathews

Woodworker's Supply Notice

I received an email today saying that Woodworker's Supply Inc. will end operations on August 15th. Frankly I'm not surprised. Every time I visited the place, the workers didn't seem to really want to help me much. I also really struggled to find what I was looking for. Anyway, just thought I'd...
  7. Michael Mathews

Sanding Belt Failure Lessons

So I've really already learned this by experience with my oscillating belt sander that you don't buy excess belts and keep them laying around for a long time as the adhesive joint will age and deteriorate. Then when you do need "that" belt, it WILL fail!...guaranteed! So yesterday I needed to...
  8. Michael Mathews

Interesting technique to create marble effect on woodturning projects

Just saw this video. Interesting technique and pretty nice effect if you're looking for a marble effect on your woodturning! To skip the turning prep and get to the technique, fast forward to the 12:00 minute mark.
  9. Michael Mathews

What finish for a Bar Top?

I've got a commission to build a flat pack portable bar and since there will be quite a bit of liquids exposed to the surfaces, I'm thinking of doing a surface coat of epoxy on everything. Is there a better finish for something like this? Anyone every build something like this? There will be a...
  10. Michael Mathews

Bridge City Tools UG-1 Universal Gauge $99 ONLY 45 PIECES

Saw this in an email this morning. Bridge City Tools UG-1 for a super low price of $99 WITH the coupon code 410094 ONLY 45 PIECES AVAILABLE SO GET THEM FAST!!!
  11. Michael Mathews

Replacement Bedpost

This is a replacement bedpost for a 4 post bed. One post was lost. There was turning, carving, and stain matching involved. Last I need to apply some lacquer to match the sheen.
  12. Michael Mathews

Earring Holder

This is an earring holder I designed for the Shaper Origin. I used a 1/16" up-cut spiral bit to cut out the large slots and the small slots for the earring posts. No need to remove the earring backs, just insert though the large opening and slip down into the small slot. I'm planning to add some...
  13. Michael Mathews

Fusion 360 training class online?

With the SketchUp discussion ongoing, I'd like to see if there's any interest in a fusion 360 class. I'm not qualified to give it, but I'd really be interested in partaking! Is anyone capable of teaching a fusion 360 session? And anyone else interested?
  14. Michael Mathews

Turned a Small Spalted Maple Bowl Yesterday

Been busy with other projects and haven't turned anything in a while. So I did a quick little bowl with a piece of Spalted Maple. 5" diameter, 1-1/2" deep. Finished with Ack's Abrasive Paste and Ack's Polishing Compound.
  15. Michael Mathews

Wanted: Phenolic plastic 24" x 24" x 3/8" , 2 pieces or larger

I'm looking for a couple pieces of some form of Phenolic plastic, UHMW, HDPE, etc. Minimum 24" x 24" and the thickness can be 3/8" minimum or thicker. Anyone have a couple pieces laying around you don't need or would like to sell me?
  16. Michael Mathews

Happy Birthday Graywolf!

Happy Birthday Richard! I wish you a wonderful day today and many more happy days this coming year!
  17. Michael Mathews

Calendars?

I'm signed up for a couple workshops coming up plus I know the picnic is in May. So I thought I'd check the calendar here on the site. I was shocked to see that the picnic wasn't on the calendar! And I couldn't find the events calendar! What happened to the calendars? Is the ONE calendar that is...
  18. Michael Mathews

Sad News

I still get the emails from the carving club that meets at Klingspor. They just sent out an email with some sad news. It seems that Leon Harkins has passed away this past Sunday. I don't know how many here know him but he was an outstanding wood carver.
  19. Michael Mathews

Free Skilsaw...needs new cord

I don't even know if it still works but it used to at one time. The cord is so deteriorated I'm afraid to plug it in. I'd post a picture but for some reason the site won't let me. If you're interested send me your email and I'll send you a picture
  20. Michael Mathews

SOLD - Delta Mortiser Model MM300

Used but still has good life left, with 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2" chisel sets. $100 pickup in Chapel Hill

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors