Search results

1. Michael Mathews

Holly cut down

If you don't cut Holly during the winter I believe, it's usually turn green. I believe it needs to be dormant when you cut it in order for it to stay white. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  2. Michael Mathews

Intarsia Wall Project Part 2

The picture is wonderful! Just beautiful!...but to get the full effect of this piece one must experience it in person. This is a "mind blown" piece! The time, dedication, and amount of work that's gone into this is just astounding! Well done Joe! I can't wait to see the finished piece(s)!
  3. Michael Mathews

5 W'S - Who What Where When & Why

OH MY... That was a complete accident but I love it! :cool:
  4. Michael Mathews

Yes, pyrography is wood burning. Fire away at any questions. If you'd like to talk, let me know and I'll DM you or you can DM me if you can and I will or you can send me your cell phone number and we can talk.
  5. Michael Mathews

Crotch Ash Bowl

I believe it was a victim. I got the ash several years ago from Bob Kellogg here on the forum.
  6. Michael Mathews

Crotch Ash Bowl

I turned this small Crotch Ash Bowl yesterday. About 10" across and 2" high. Finished with Walnut Oil
  7. Michael Mathews

Bull City Woodshop Fundraiser

@Bullcitywoodshop Andrea, I'll see if I can turn something for the silent auction. I should be able to as I have enough lead time.
  8. Michael Mathews

Greetings From Chapel Hill... My name is Michael and I've lived in NC for about 12-1/2 years now. By degree I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've been working in electrical controls and automation in the manufacturing world for about 35 years. I've been a hobby woodworker for just as many. My love...
  9. Michael Mathews

Newby from Raleigh

Welcome Loren! Glad you found us and decided to join the group! Regarding the picnic, as others mentioned, there's a thread here with info. There are a number of us in this area, (I'm in NW Chapel Hill) that will be going to the picnic. If you plan to stay through most of the picnic, we can try...
  10. Michael Mathews

Building a Chevalet de Marqueterie

this looks like a hyped up manual scroll saw
  11. Michael Mathews

Call for members to demo at Hardwood Store of NC Grand Opening

I've got my Pyrography gear all packed and ready to go. I'm going to try to be there by 8:30a or before. It just depends on what time I get out of the house. Oh, and I'll be carrying Ken Serdar's laser and equipment. He and Cheryl are driving separate. BTW, I mentioned to Matt already, I'm NOT...
  12. Michael Mathews

Call for members to demo at Hardwood Store of NC Grand Opening

I'm going to try to be there. It's already been a long week for me since we have a planned outage on one of our production lines and I have a big project going in. I can either bring out my small lather and turn some give-away tipee tops or I can bring my pyrography gear. I'm just not prepared...
  13. Michael Mathews

Not a new member

Great to see you back Ward! If you're still in Hillsborough, you're always welcome to stop by here any time I'm here. Nice job on the table and shelves!
  14. Michael Mathews

What are you bringing to the 2024 picnic?

I voted in the poll but I will bring a big bowl of guacamole
  15. Michael Mathews

2024 Annual Picnic RSVP May 18, 2024

I will plan to bring a big bowl of guacamole
  16. Michael Mathews

What CNC’s do you all have, and what software are you using for CAD/CAM?

ShopBot Desktop Max, 24" x 36" bed. Vcarve Pro software
  17. Michael Mathews

DIY Steady rest with micro-adjust

Henry, looks to me like the micro-adjust is the threaded rod with large knobs outside the ring to move the wheels in and out. That's a nice feature to have on a steady rest!
  18. Michael Mathews

CNC Router Forum

I also have a ShopBot Desktop Max with a 24" x 36" bed. I agree with what Mark said, most of your time is spent designing on the software. I use Vcarve Pro. Fortunately it came with my unit which the license was still transferable (just one time). Otherwise the license is around $2k. Mark...
  19. Michael Mathews

1/8" cut diam x 5/8+" deep router bit

Also check Bits Bits. Jay Bates has a 10% discount code. I believe it's "jaybates"
  20. Michael Mathews

Dewalt Scroll Saw

I have a Delta model 40-690 that's like new for sale. It's a 20" unit. It needed a new motor so I have some $$ in it. It comes with the light and stand with adjustable legs for angling the unit. I'd let it go for $300.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors