Search results

1. Nice Figures

Need Help / Advise

We closed on the house in NH last Friday and could use some help / advise on moving all this wood and tools. Does anyone out there drive a big rig? or have a connection / recommendation with a trucking company. We estimate that we've got over 25,000 pounds of wood to move plus the household...
  2. Nice Figures

Special Moving Sale

Hi Everyone, We’re moving and need to lighten our load so we’re going to offer some of our figured wood and burl inventory at special pricing for NC woodworkers. This will be a first come first serve deal for the next two weeks at our store in Salter Path, no shipping. We will take credit...
  3. Nice Figures

Refrigerator Dryer for Turnig Blanks

I read about this and have finally gotten around to getting an old fridge to try it. The one I got is a side by side, I know this might make it a bit more complicated but.....that's what I've got to work with. Has anyone made one of these? Can you tell me how to go about it, where, how many and...
  4. Nice Figures

Dust Collector Question

I have a 1 micron felt type bag on my dust collector, does anyone have advice on cleaning? How to? How often? Thanks a bunch, Paula
  5. Nice Figures

Carter Guides

Does anyone have a Mini Max 16" bandsaw? I'm thinking of getting some of the Carter upgrades (blade guides, stabilizer, tension ) and was wondering if anyone has this saw and has bought the any of the upgrades. Did it make a big difference over the stock guides? Thanks, Paula
  6. Nice Figures

Keeping Color

Owning the store gives us access to lots of great wood many displaying fantastic colors that fade over time (camphor burl, red mallee burl, and the more common purple heart, yellow heart, padauk) . Does anyone have any suggestions for finishing to keeping these colors vivid? We mostly turn but...
  7. Nice Figures

Drum Sander Tip

I just got a Jet 16/32 sander and the paper was getting clogged up in sections and burning the wood, I have a dust collector and use the eraser regularly. I saw a tip in one of the magazines I get on getting stubborn material off the paper. I tried it and it worked great. They used a piece of...
  8. Nice Figures

Denatured Alcohol Question

I've been using Denatured Alcohol to raise the grain on projects (mostly turning) before finish sanding and I also spray some on woods when I want to see the figure before finishing. My question is, denatured alcohol is a bit expensive, is there any problem or reason not to use regular rubbing...
  9. Nice Figures

Crush Grind

I need some help...I've got some "Crush Grind" shaftless ceramic salt and pepper grind mechanisms and would like to start turning the grinders. Does anyone have a set of instructions for making these? I've looked at the instructions on the Penn State website and the notes say you have to do some...
  10. Nice Figures

[How Do I-Gallery] Delete Photos

Now that I've figured out how to get pictures into the gallery, how do I get them off?
  11. Nice Figures

Iron Station to Coast

I'd like to get a couple Walnut slabs from Kyle's place near Charlotte to the coast (Salter Path) or close. If anyone is coming this way or could relay at the picnic I'd sure appreciate the help. They'll be about 30" side and maybe 48" tall...Probably to large for a car... Thanks, Paula
  12. Nice Figures

Looking for Box Elder

I'm looking for some red streaked Box Elder for bowl turning. We're located at the coast, let me know if anyone has any or if you know where I can get some.
  13. Nice Figures

New Toy

:wsmile: Just bought a new toy....and it was delivered on a big truck today! We finally took the step to a bigger lathe and bought a Powermatic 3520B with 18" extension for turning even bigger bowls (probably overkill for pens). I'd been pricing them for a while and found a good deal at Osolink...
  14. Nice Figures

New Work Bench

I'm making progress on our new shop, working on it after work at the store. Here's our new bench.....
  15. Nice Figures

Spalted Wood Question

I know there must be someone that can give me a technical but straight forward answer to this question. Is it safe to use spalted wood for items that are used in food preparation and storage? Like for bowls, spatulas, spoons, chop sticks etc.. Thanks, Paula
  16. Nice Figures

Large Project Help Needed

Hi All, Hope someone out there can help me out. We own Nice Figures Studio and Lumber Sales and have just moved to a new location at the beach. We've got a nice sign but I really need and eye catcher. I'm going to put a few large slabs out by the road but what I would really like is a very large...
  17. Nice Figures

Can't Work

We didn't have a shop at the house when we moved to the beach so we are building this timber frame shop. The problem is I don't think I'll be able to get much work done with a view like this..... We just put the windows and doors in yesterday and the siding is going on Saturday. I'll post more...
  18. Nice Figures

Sanding Question

I've gotten kind of hooked on turning and my sanding problem is from turning a blank that has two very different colors like two tone Blackwood or combinations like Bloodwood and Holly. How do you keep the darker sanding dust from getting into the lighter color wood and making a mess?
  19. Nice Figures

Pen Parts

I know people have asked about where to buy pen parts before on this forum but I'm going to do it again so don't get mad....I've been buying my pen parts from Woodturnz, they have the same parts as Penn State Industries but sell them for a bit less. I really like the new colors they offer...
  20. Nice Figures

We've Moved

Hi everybody, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just wanted to let everyone know that our store, Nice Figures Studio and Lumber Sales has moved from Chapel Hill to the coast. We are now located on the crystal coast in Salter Path, NC. We've leased a larger building and now...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS