Search results

1. D

First attempt at a fluted bowl

This is walnut stump wood. Sanded to 2000 grit (BY HAND !! - and boy, do my fingers hurt!), and one layer of BLO. I wanted to see if I could do it, but won't be rushing to do it again anytime soon. Dave Peterson
  2. D

the latest craze: turning something with pencils

I belong to several forums, including 3 on facebook. Several guys are trying stuff, using colored pencils. I decided not to jump in the deep end of the pool, but decided it to give it a shot on a smaller scale. The colored pencils are all 'Teacher correcting pencils' and are 6-sided with red...
  3. D

Covered box (Black Walnut root wood)

I started out by making a bowl from part of a root ball from a black walnut tree, but put in a lip just in case I wanted to add a lid. I decided a lid might be nice, so I added a finial. It ended up looking like a giant acorn, so I balanced it out with a pedestal base. Four different pieces...
  4. D

Ambrosia Maple Platter

This is Ambrosia Maple and was reclaimed from a swamp in 2011 (but not by me). The blank started out as 2.25 X 17" X 20", and was cut to 15.5" diameter. In the last photo, you can see the blank, and there is about 3/8" clearance from the deck. The finished product is 14 5/8" diameter, and 1 7/8"...
  5. D

Australian Burl and Padauk candy dish

This is my current personal best. It was a real challenge. The top and bottom were turned separately and each component sanded before it came off the lathe. I used one of those contour tools (wires in a row, pressed against wood, shows the reverse contour on the other side of the ruler) to...
  6. D

Gnome Forest

My grandson, Dexter, and the new Gnome Forest. 4 total pieces, all dogwood. The base is 1/2 of a Dogwood root ball. The forest is 7 inches wide and 6 inches tall. My Son and Daughter-in-law think Dexter looks like a gnome. I have to agree, but he is the cutest gnome i have ever seen!
  7. D

Black Walnut Root Ball piece

Walnut Root ball wood is not easy to come by, as no one wants to go to the trouble of digging up the stump, cleaning it, then drying it for a looooooong time. I managed to get hold of a little bit of it, and here is a toothpick holder I made from it. (p.s. it is worth the effort!). Before I...
  8. D

Best reward for my work (better than money!)

Last June, I made a baby rattle. My daughter-in-law was pregnant and Dexter was born Nov. 7. He is just old enough now to grasp and focus, and I got this photo from my son this past week. The baby rattle is made from Dogwood, sanded to 2000 grit. IF I put any finish on it, it was just walnut...
  9. D

Australian Burl ice cream scoop

There is a family birthday coming up (twin sisters, who live together) and I asked them what they wanted for their birthday. One wanted a back scratcher, the other wanted an ice cream scoop (they will share!) Don't have the scratcher done yet, but got the scoop done. The particular wood is...
  10. D

Wedding present: cherry burl salt & pepper shakers

My step-son finally pulled the trigger at 32 and is getting married. I made him and his fiance a cherry burl bowl to celebrate the engagement, so the wedding present is a salt & pepper set, also out of cherry burl. The shakers are drop-in inserts from Rockler. total height is 3 1/4"...
  11. D

Walnut crotch wood scoop

I was at my sister's place for Christmas and noticed her ice cream scoop was an old aluminum one. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks, so I have taken it upon myself to remedy that problem. The overall length is 10". Finish is sanding to 2000 grit, then coated with Lin-Speed gunstock finish...
  12. D

Walnut crotch wood platter

8 3/8" diameter, 1 1/4" height, finished to 3000 grit, and at the time of this photo, one coat of Minwax Tung Oil finish. Took me 6 hours to turn, sand and finish this piece. The decorations are courtesy of the guest speaker (Frank B. Penta) we had at our Woodturner's meeting last Tuesday...
  13. D

Re-purposed blown bowl

I had a beautiful lump of Bocote (Central America, specific gravity over 1.0, so the wood does not float), and the coloration on it was simply amazing. It is very dense, oily wood, sort of like lignum vitae. It turned like butter! The outside was beautiful and it came off so clean with...
  14. D

The Australian Burl bowl is finished!

The wood is Corrugata Burl, from the Outback of Australia. I sanded to 3000 grit, and it has one coat of Lin-Speed finish on it. Very rock hard stuff. I had to sharpen my inside bowl scraper about every third pass. This piece started out as a 8X9X4" burl cap, white on the outside, brown on...
  15. D

large cherry burl and turquoise bowl

This bowl is pretty large for a cherry burl. Outside height 4", inside depth 3", diameter of inner opening 6", max top rim diameter 8 1/8".
  16. D

my first LIVE EDGE BOWL

The wood is Honey locust. I got the 1/2 log about 18 months ago in Southern Indiana (a trade). The top rim is 8.5 X 6.5". There was a big bug void in the bottom that was hidden, so I filled it with turquoise. I don't think I will do another one for a while. VERY frustrating to make one of...
  17. D

spaulted wild apple turning

I bought 5 pieces on eBay (same seller) of some spaulted wild apple. The lots were 2X2X6" and waxed. When I got them, the moisture content was 17%. I just had to turn one, and a friend of mine has a birthday coming up.....so I popped off an ice cream scoop in about 3 hours. the white...
  18. D

Holly Burl bottle opener with turquoise

I decided to turn a piece of Holly burl that was given to me, and found that internally, there was some gaps and worm holes. No problem! The big 'turquoise smile' went in about a 1/2", so it would have been scrapped if I did not have some nice filler. Total length is 7". The resolution...
  19. D

Just a little square walnut bowl

I turned and finished this little fella in about 4 hours yesterday. It was good therapy and cheaper than seeing a Shrink! The top is 4 3/8" square. Height is 2 1/8". Polished to 2000 grit. Finish is.....(wait for it.......) Walnut oil !
  20. D

Another cherry burl & Turquoise bowl

Cherry Burl with Turquoise inlay. Some worms had decided to make a few caverns in this piece. Turquoise dust fills the space. Opposite the inlay is more turquoise on the inside of the bowl. Height is 2", diameter is 6.5". The finish is just a coat of walnut oil. Polished to 3000 grit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS