Search results

1. S

Chessboard project

I will let you know. I will make mine at least 1/2 inch or more. Still considering backer board.
  2. S

Chessboard project

Spot on. that's what i thought. I just haven't done it before and figured that would be the best way to strengthen the overall board. Your response is reassuring. Thank you.
  3. S

Chessboard project

No not like that. you are making it hard. I know how to make the board. Cutting strips the length of the chessboard. Glue alternate strips, light and dark. Cut accross the big square and re-position the strips to make squares. All I am worried about is that over time wherever edge grain is...
  4. S

Chessboard project

I am making a chess board and have some design concerns involving glue-up. The board will be made of 2 or 2.5 inch squares. It will have a thin beaded on top frame and then a wider frame about 2 inches on all 4 sides. Question is concerned about glueing the squares. No matter how you look at...
  5. S

I’m not feeling woodworky...

Not really, that's my busy time. My locals come beging for stuff. Suposed to be retired.
  6. S

Finishing wood with bright blue or green, special need

I have a request to make some wood trophy mounts in green and blue. We are trying to convince the end-customer to go with a natural wood and just use a name plate of the desired color. In the event that doesn't work, I am trying to find a way to finish the final product in these colors. It...
  7. S

Cutting larger holes with a hole saw

Thanks Joe. My confidence is restored, I am ready to go do this. Thanks to all.
  8. S

Thank you. I Read some info that pretty much folows your guidelines. I just wanted to be certain before I buy the hardware. I needed to hear it from someo e who has walked the walk. My cordless drill has been a faithful servant and handles heavy duty work pretty well. Drilling relief holes...
  9. S

I need some advice on using hole saw to cut 3 and 4 inch holes in 3/4" hardwood. Can I effectively use a whole saw that size with a hand held 3/8 ths drill. I read that you need to keep the rpms down a bit and try not to force your way through the wood. I don't want to spend $50 or more for...
  10. S

Finishing very old hard pine still laden with turpentine

The book case is a must. Also building a table from this same wood.i do a lot of wood (exotics and ptherwise) in natural and it is my primary way of working. I really believe I can convince him to keep it natural. He is coming by to discuss options tommorrow. Thanls for your input. Almost...
  11. S

How to cut a "perfect" small square opening in center odf a smallish panel

I like this method and also router template with small diameter bit so corner cleaning is minimized.
  12. S

You wanted some pictures. Here you go. The narrow boards on the right of the center photo were really dark when planed. There has been a lot of change in these boards after sitting in hte shop just a couple of days. The lumber in the round shelves was not nearly as "wet" as the others but if...
  13. S

I know about jig saw cuts. Not only not stright enough but I also have a problem with the saw blad not cutting perfectly vertical. I get some vertical slant on the cut sides as well.
  14. S

No, I don't need the waste piece. Just neeed it t obe really square. I thought about using a router with a template and squaring the corners. Main concern is making several identical cuts.
  15. S

Thanks. I am looking into the shellac. I've had my troubles with blotchy stains on certain wooods in the past and want to avoid messing up some very nice looking wood. I have cut 4 of the five 24" rounds that make the different shelf layers and the wood is really great looking,
  16. S

Thanks for your sugestions. You are correct on resins. Not moisture. It smells very strongly pine. Never tried Zinser Sealcoat. If it is a shellac, it should dry rather quickly, right? Do I need to air dry first. Others thought stickering and drying it a couple of weeks in the shop might...
  17. S

I have used tung oil on some other woods and really like the outcome. Looks really good on zebrawood too.
  18. S

He's coming over Wednesday to look at where I am . I think he might be open to that suggestion; however, he may balk at that depending on the room decor and furniture where he wants to place it. Thanks for your help. I am gthering all of the input I am getting from everyone here. A lot of what...
  19. S

Thanks for ypur i put. Roblem is, this wpod is like a hundred years old and it was weathered and you couldn't tell much about it. It is very hard. I mean, make your plane complain hard. Only some pieces appear wet. so now that I have what i got, Air dry. For some time? Any thoughts.
  20. S

OK, all you jig makers and setup guys. i need to cut a square opening in the center of a flat panel. The front plate is about 8 by 12 inches. I need to cut a square hole in the center that is about 4 x 4. I need to have a reproducible method of doing this so I can cut several. Inside...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS